IIIF manifest import

To the developers, what’s the status of incorporating ability to import an object (metadata+images) via IIIF manifest?

In the use case of posting an image/document to archive.org, which is completely free and gives you a full IIIF manifest (the only service I’ve found that enables this), they actually don’t generate the info.json files at the image level (as far as I’ve explored within the manifest). So even if I parsed the manifest into its subsequent canvases, there is no IIIF image link to use. Of course, I could go directly to the default.jpg link - but it’s very clunky - the intention of IIIF is to enable portability right?

To the community, has anyone done any work on this, have any modules or workflows around this?

Ben Bakelaar
edison.rutgers.edu (Omeka-S)
metascripta.org (Omeka-S)

1 Like

Typically something using the IIIF manifest “Presentation API” system also implements the full Image API, with info.json files and all. This might be a requirement of the spec, though I’d have to check to be sure.

Just taking a random archive.org image as an example: the image with a manifest at https://iiif.archivelab.org/iiif/C-1996-484/manifest.json does seem to have an Image API “info” file as well, at https://iiif.archivelab.org/iiif/C-1996-484/info.json.

As for importing the whole manifest, the Omeka S core at this point only supports the Image API. I believe there are several modules that can display IIIF manifests (the Universal Viewer is one, I think?) but I don’t know too much about them.

1 Like

Ahh OK I see, they don’t actually link the info.json file in the manifest, but you can retrieve it if you just append info.json to the root canvas ID.

So it sounds like a new “IIIF Import” module would be required in order to enable manifest import functionality which automatically parses the manifest.json, extracts the metadata into a new item, and then imports each image via the canvas ID/info.json file. Do any other projects or institutions have interest in this? Any developers out there that would like to price this?

To me, it seems like an obvious functionality to include. It feels very clunky to have to deconstruct a manifest into its individual images (canvases) and import the info.json one by one.

There’s definitely interest around… really all axes of interoperability with the various IIIF standards.

I know some modules and projects work with manifests but I’m not sure I have anything to point to. Simply displaying the manifest by using Mirador/etc., optionally importing some metadata as well, is one option that’s probably relatively simple. Again, there are some existing modules that do at least some of this.

Parsing the manifest and looking for Image API links within and importing the whole thing as an item with IIIF Image media attached: that’s also a good idea, but you’re of course discarding some of what might be in a more complex manifest if you go that route. I’m not sure if there are modules out there that do this.

1 Like

Is it really necessary / desirable to import an IIIF manifest (or info.json)?
Would’t you rather just store the manifest (or info.json) link and use this external info from the source in Omeka-S for presentation. In this case there’s no need to copy data & images, you just rely on the external iiif/image server, the source!

1 Like

加入外部iiif.json的功能是有的,好像是在universalviewer中指定一个字段,在都柏林的相应字段中输入iiif.json地址就可以在前台展示。唯一的缺点是不会自动生成所缩略图

@coret in concept yes that’s great, but Omeka-S has no way to display the metadata contained in the IIIF manifest, or to make that metadata searchable.

In our use case, we have uploaded copies of large PDFs (of microfilm scans) to Archive.org. I think to clarify my original post, what we would want is to 1) import the metadata, 2) import the THUMBNAIL image into Omeka-S, and then 3) display the IIIF object in a viewer on the item show page.