Does Omeka S manage tags?

I’m using Omeka S to manage collections of paintings. I want to use tags to add keywords to tell what is represented on the painting (trees, river, montains, house, forest, village, coast…).

So here is my question: does Omeka S manage tags?

If yes, is it possible to bulk import these tags as they are currently stored in a csv file?

If not, what could be the workarounds to manage something that is like a tag, attached to an item, and usable to search for items linked to somes tags ?

Omeka S does not have tags in the way that Omeka Classic does. However, you could add a property in the template for the paintings to fulfill a similar function.
For example, you could use dcterms:subject and then add each feature as a separate input. If you install Metadata Browse, you would be able to browse through and see which paintings feature a village, farm, seashore, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Is it possible to use multiple values as dcterms:subject?

My resources currently have multiple values, such as trees, forests, parks.

Yes - when you’re editing the item, you can enter each subject as a separate text value.
Ex:

That’s a great news. I hope it is also possible to import a single csv field as multiple subjects.

edit: after trying to import a csv field with multi-value fields, it does not seem to work.

I’m importing a csv file that looks like that:

dcterms:identifier,dcterms:title,dcterms:subject
7,The big tree,"trees, forests, parks"

When importing the csv file using CSV Import, I check the checkbox named Use multivalue separator for the subject field.

mvs

I also set , (comma) as Multivalue separator

f1

But after the import ends, I get only one tag/subject that contains the whole value: trees, forests, parks.

I can manually enter 3 different subjects. But I cannot succeed to import them using CSV Import.

Have you tried using a different symbol for the multivalue separator? Such as |?

I must have missed something because I can’t succeed in importing csv file with a multi-value separator in a field.

I’m importing a csv file that looks like that:

dcterms:identifier,dcterms:title,dcterms:subject
7,The big tree,trees|forests|parks"

When importing the csv file using CSV Import, I check the checkbox named Use multivalue separator for the subject field.

mvs

I also set | (pipe) as Multivalue separator (the screenshot has not been updated, but I really enter | (pipe) in this field) :

f1

But after the import ends, I get only one tag/subject that contains the whole value: trees|forests|parks.

I can manually enter 3 different subjects. But I cannot succeed to import them using CSV Import.

I just tried out the exact example you posted (well, minus a stray quotation mark that looks like a leftover)
with the current importer and it worked fine, importing 3 subjects as expected.

When you’re clicking the “Use multivalue separator” box, are you then clicking the “Apply changes” button at the bottom of that sidebar? When you’ve turned that option on and clicked Apply, the table showing your import settings should have an entry saying “Multivalue” for that column.

You’re right @jflatnes, I did not clicked on the Apply changes button.

I’m either dumb, or the interface could be more clear, and button could turn green (or orange) when the user changes any setting for the field.

Thanks for giving me the solution!

If you’re working on a large screen it can be easy to miss, as it’s down at the bottom of the window. Glad it worked!

Could it be an opportunity to improve the interface?

As I said before, maybe the button could turn green (or orange) when the user changes any setting for the field.