Bilingual web site

Hello,

I’d like to know if you have any instructions on installing a bilingual module for our site, as we would like to have a bilingual website under the Omeka S interface. Additionally, we would appreciate examples of websites that have been created using a bilingual module.

Thank you and have a great day.

Hello Virginie,

Admin side, the user interface language is based on user preferences. Users have a default setting based on the installation locale, but can change (or request a change of) their displayed language for the overall UI.

Site side, there is a site locale parameter, + an option to only display resource values based on this locale. You don’t need any module to create a site in a specific language, but you’ll need to create one site for each language you want to display.

You can have a look at https://collection.manondamoon.com for an example of a collection displayed in two languages across two different sites.

Hi Virginie,

I summarised what I believe are the current options in an earlier post, see Is there any module for translation in Omeka s - #2 by jlayt.

Note that the multilingual site I was building has stalled due to funding issues, but we hope to get going again soon so our new module may be an real option at some point this year.

John.

Hello ManOnDaMoon

I am very interested by your solution but I have a question regarding the standard you use to describe your data at the item level: how did you manage to have labels for your description fields in different languages?

As for me I create first a ressource template, where I can choose only one alternate label for Dublin Core fields, but I can neither tag the language of this alternate label nor dupplicate the description field.