Zend_Session_Exception The session has already been started. The session id must be set first

After installing the upgrade I went to the admin and it asked me to upgrade the database which I did. It said it was successful then it went to the error message:

Zend_Session_Exception The session has already been started. The session id must be set first.

Zend_Session_Exception: The session has already been started. The session id must be set first. in /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/application/libraries/Zend/Session.php:681
Stack trace:
#0 /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/application/libraries/Zend/Session.php(440): Zend_Session::setId(‘f6fafc14c8433c3…’)
#1 /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/application/libraries/Zend/Session/Namespace.php(143): Zend_Session::start(true)
#2 /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/application/libraries/Omeka/Controller/Plugin/Admin.php(72): Zend_Session_Namespace->__construct()
#3 /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Plugin/Broker.php(309): Omeka_Controller_Plugin_Admin->preDispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http))
#4 /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(941): Zend_Controller_Plugin_Broker->preDispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http))
#5 /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#6 /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#7 /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(73): Zend_Application->run()
#8 /home/kknoerl/themua.org/collections/admin/index.php(28): Omeka_Application->run()
#9 {main}

After some more digging I noted the browser issue others mentioned. I can get in without the error message in Firefox and IE but not Chrome.

Does an “incognito window” in Chrome act any differently? I’m wondering if the difference is just that your previous session is in Chrome and not in those other browsers.

It does! I was able to login while incognito in Chrome.

So, if you’re sitting on the page showing the error (in your regular window), go to the chrome menu -> More tools -> Developer tools, and then the “Application” tab in the panel that opens, you should be able to go to “Clear storage” and click “Clear site data” to clear your existing session cookie (as well as any other saved data in your browser for that site).

If incognito mode worked fine, then clearing that data should work also.

That worked. Thanks so much!

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.