Updating Themes for Omeka S

I have Omeka S installed through Reclaim Hosting and it just auto updated to Version 3.0.1 but the default theme did not update so now the public side will not display.

How do I update the theme? Is it as simple as downloading the updated theme, going into my file manager and deleting the old folder and uploading the updated one? Or will that mess up other elements of the install?

My previous install was run by our institution’s IT folks, so I’m a relative novice at anything beyond operating within Omkea S itself.

Thanks,

Ben

If you haven’t manually edited any of the files of a theme, yes, updating one is as simple as deleting the old folder and replacing it with the new one.

Great, thanks. That’s what I thought but wanted to make sure before I started deleting stuff.

Hi I have a similar problem where the public facing part of my site is no longer working and showing this:

https://whcarchives.org/s/lostjazz

When I uploaded the new theme and deleted the old one all that it was said was that the theme was not found.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Did the updated theme you uploaded have the same folder name as the one you deleted? They would normally be the same.

Hi,

they don’t have same folder name. One is titled Default and the updated theme folder is called paper.

Omeka S looks up the theme to use based on that folder name, so it needs to match. If you were using the theme default then it’s Default that you need to update.

If you were previously using another theme but you’d just renamed it “default,” (though I wouldn’t really recommend doing that) then you’d need to rename the new copy to match the previous name.

1 Like

YES. Thank you so much for your help on this.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.