Update on database prefix tests

Hi everyone,

I’m exploring Omeka S for an NGO - their hosting can only have one MySQL database (it’s a shared hosting amongst several NGOs), and I’m having some limitations due to the absence of prefix in Omeka S database structure: I have an other group of tables that use the same table names.

There was a discussion between 2018 and 2020 on this topic: Database prefix, which ended on jimsafley writing that some exploration may be needed to check if it is feasible to use prefixes.

Any news on that?

S still doesn’t support a prefix, and it’s unlikely that it will.

For various reasons the tooling and so on that S is built on assumes it has its own database to play in, and that’s why we didn’t/don’t have prefix support. And at this point that’s baked in all over the place: as one example that’s probably most problematic, into all the modules that install tables.

Is it really not possible for the shared host to provision a second database in this case? Certainly on the MySQL side having two that are assigned to the same user is not problematic (or having a second user account).

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Well, it means we’ll have to change the hosting provider if we wanted to pursue the Omeka S route ^^