Trouble Setting up Omeka S

Greetings - and thanks in advance. I have a site up and running but I’m running into a few problems and I’m wondering if there is something seriously wrong with my installation. First, I can’t get the site to make thumbnail images (even though I’ve verified with my webhost (bluehost) that I have the path correct.) Second, I’ve tried to do a small (several hundred items) CSV import and it just stalls (it starts importing but then the jobs never progress). I’ve loaded the same data into the Omeka S site without any problems so I don’t think it is a data problem.

I’m wondering if there are some common issues I should look into that might fix both these issues. Here is the system information from my Omeka S installation.

Omeka S
Version 3.1.0
PHP
Version 7.4.23
SAPI cgi-fcgi
Memory Limit 256M
POST Size Limit 516M
File Upload Limit 512M
Garbage Collection Yes
Extensions bcmath, bz2, calendar, cgi-fcgi, Core, ctype, curl, date, dom, exif, fileinfo, filter, ftp, gd, gettext, gmp, hash, iconv, imagick, imap, intl, ionCube Loader, json, libxml, mbstring, mysqli, mysqlnd, odbc, openssl, pcntl, pcre, PDO, pdo_mysql, PDO_ODBC, pdo_pgsql, pgsql, Phar, posix, pspell, readline, Reflection, session, SimpleXML, soap, sockets, SourceGuardian, SPL, standard, tidy, tokenizer, xml, xmlreader, xmlrpc, xmlwriter, xsl, zip, zlib
MySQL
Server Version 5.6.41-84.1
Client Version mysqlnd 7.4.23
Mode NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION
OS
Version Linux 4.19.150-76.ELK.el6.x86_64 x86_64

Some hosted server blocks php commands via command line, that is required to create thumbnails and to index, etc. You can check if you have right for that, then if set the path here if needed : Installing - Omeka S User Manual

Daniel_KM - thanks for this information! I believe I got things working by making two small edits to the local.config.php file.

'phpcli_path' => '/usr/local/bin/ea-php74'

and

'Omeka\File\Thumbnailer' => 'Omeka\File\Thumbnailer\Imagick',

Both of these changes came as a result of trial error and I don’t understand all the ramifications. Posting them here so that 1) someone can alert me if something is terribly wrong and 2) to ‘show my work’ so that others might find this useful.

1 Like

Hi - you may find that your CSV imports continue to stall. I have 1000+ jobs in my log, most of which will say “in progress” until forever and cannot be cleared out.
The upside is you can safely delete the completed lines from your CSV and start a new import to continue on your way (as long as you keep track of which items completed and which did not). It’s not great but it’s better than nothing.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.