Thinking about switching, questions about release and user accounts

I am an archivist for the Moise A. Khayrallah Center for Lebanese Diaspora Studies. We currently use Omeka Classic for our digital archive, but are investigating possibly migrating to Omeka S; however, we don’t want to switch over until it is out of beta and fully stable. Is there a release date set yet for Omeka S? Additionally–and I know this has been asked before, but it’s been a while!–does anyone have a public example site I could show to my director?

One functionality that we hope to add is the ability to lock collections or items to be viewable only by approved accounts–something we have not been able to make work on Omeka classic as we need more granular designations than public/private. We are hoping to hire a developer to create a plugin or module to do this. Will it be easier on Omeka S? Is this a feature you are planning already by any chance?

Thanks!
Claire

We don’t have a specific date set, but generally we are aiming to have it out of beta for the fall semester.

We recently put up a sandbox with some example sites for you to look at, and you can log in to play around with it if you want.

One thing to consider is that the theme work you have done for your existing site won’t carry over to Omeka S, so there’d be significant work to transfer that over.

I know others have raised the question of more granular permissions, but I don’t really know the status of that. It’s not something that we are planning for S, and I don’t think it will be any easier, just different.