Site inaccesible: Omeka encountered an error

Both my site and my site admin login screen provide me the message " Omeka has encountered an error

To learn how to see more detailed information about this error, see the Omeka Codex page on retrieving error messages."

I’ve reviewed the guidance in that doc, but I can’t login to give any of it a try.

Here is my site: https://archives.rainbowhistory.org/

Can anyone please advise?

Hello.
You should follow the instructions supplied on the page you mentioned, enabling verbose error messages, in order to get more information about your issue.
To do it, there’s no need to access your site, but you have to change some files’ content in your installation, so you’ll need to access your installation’s folders.
After applying the changes, go back to your site, refresh the page and then post here the full message you’ll be shown.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, DanieleB! We’ve been able to get the more descriptive error messages turned on. Here is what the code says:

Omeka Database Error

Variable ‘sql_mode’ can’t be set to the value of ‘NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER’.

Confirm that the information in your db.ini file is correct.

How would I be able to confirm this? We didn’t recently make any changes, so I don’t have a previous file or other version to check it against. Is this something we would check on our server?

Hi. Well done.

Never seen anything similar, but while we’re waiting for somebody’s help you might find something in this issue I’ve just found on Omeka’s GitHub pages: https://github.com/omeka/Omeka/issues/858

Have you (or your IT admins) recently updated the MySQL version, maybe?

Yes, if your site runs on MySQL 8 (the server administrators have likely just updated it), then you need to be running version 2.7 or newer of Omeka Classic.

@DanieleB. Yes, it turns out that our Dreamhost people just recently did an update to our SQL, so this might be the root of the problem. Thanks for that link, we’ll keep investigating.

@jflatnes. Thanks for the hint about the newer version of Omeka Classic. Do you know how we would be able to upgrade to a newer version if we cannot log in to our admin portal? (that link gives us the same error message)

Yes, you can still upgrade an Omeka site in this kind of situation.

If you look at the Upgrading instructions, what you do first is replace the Omeka application files with the newer version, and once that’s done you’d be able to run the upgrade and the site should then work and you could log in again.

This topic was automatically closed after 250 days. New replies are no longer allowed.