Simple change to base folder name - rewrite folder name in htaccess?

This has probably been asked before, but I’m having trouble finding the answer right now…

All I want to do is rename the Omeka folder (i.e., domain.com/omeka to domain.com/new_name). The main issue is that we have a lot of navigation links - I understand these will automatically be changed, no? - as well as links in Simple Pages. Would it make sense to do an htaccess rewrite from omeka -> new_name for these? If so, what’s the line I need to put in the htaccess file (which I guess will be placed in the domain root)?

Thanks!

Was my initial question unclear? I basically just want to rename the base folder - perhaps it would be easier to upgrade to the latest version of Omeka instead (we’re still on 2.5.1), rename the folder at the install moment, then go from there?

Any links you’ve manually created will not be automatically updated. This includes links in the navigation if you manually created them as direct-entry URLs.

There’s really no difference or improvement in moving while upgrading or just moving.

An .htaccess rewrite would do a fine job of making old links work without you having to fix them, if that’s the route you want to go. This is getting a little beyond the scope of Omeka support and into Apache configuration but it should be as simple as

Redirect "/omeka" "/new_name"

in an .htaccess file in your web root folder (or Apache config or virtual host config or wherever).

1 Like

Thanks @jflatnes - in the end, I decided we should upgrade anyways to the new version, but almost everything else worked smoothly (though next time I’ll screenshot the navigation and plug-ins so I can remember exact order and what was activated or not - oops!).

I’m getting a few small errors now that I’m not entirely sure how to handle.

One is related to the PDF viewer. I had to update the URL in our theme’s show.php to display PDFs, but now I’m getting this error:

/db/web/viewer.html?file=/db/files/original/3a850445af9011b180eff8bdf6815be4.pdf is not a valid URL.

But the file is visible on the backend and if I navigate directly to /db/files/original/3a850445af9011b180eff8bdf6815be4.pdf it is also accessible. I don’t really understand how the viewer works for PDFs - any ideas?

There might be another unrelated issue lingering, but I’m trying to fix that right now…

EDIT: never mind, fixed this issue! In order to run this we use pdf.js, and I forgot that I needed to also include a few other files that we manually added previously.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.