Really slow, server configuration?

Gooday,

The site is going really slow; bad performance.

Versions: (details attached)

• omeka 3.1.2
  • php 8.2.19
  • mysqlnd 8.2.19

The hosting is configured using plesk; and at this moment it has apache cgi choosen, the best among other types (dedicated apache and nginx). But inspecting with firefox tool, we get this header that says nginx:
HTTP/2 200
server: nginx
date: Fri, 07 Jun 2024 11:30:43 GMT
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
x-powered-by: PHP/8.2.19
expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
cache-control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
pragma: no-cache
content-encoding: gzip
vary: Accept-Encoding
strict-transport-security: max-age=15768000; includeSubDomains
x-powered-by: PleskLin

We have uninstalled many plugins and let a few ones.

We guess that it is a hosting configuration, but not sure.

Any clue, advice?

Thanks.
Best regards.

This is the php configuration:

Hi @jonfi ,

Is this a new site? Or has it been around for a while and just now starting to experience issues? Does it have any items or media?

I can’t get the site to load - it just times out.

I didn’t look too closely at your current settings, but my first thought is that the server is overprovisioned if sometimes it loads and sometimes not. (It seems to be loading for you.)

If you’d rather not have to worry about your server and so you can focus on your collections in Omeka, I recommend something like RefBytes Platform Manager for hosting and managing Omeka installation/upgrades/backups. I’d be happy to answer any questions about the platform.

Thanks @fackrellj !

This site is running since 2020 with 617 items catalogued, now it has started having problems, i guess after a server upgrade.

We use mostly images, pdfs, and audios, not too heavy. Omekas plugins are:

• css editor
  • exhibit builder
  • exhibit image
  • html5 (just in one page)
  • pdf embed
  • pdf text (is deactivated)
  • simple page

When you say overprovisioned, you mean that we should deactivate php libraries, modules or use php lower version?

I have seen RefBytes, it is not expensive but we have already a server with several sites, and backup service; but I don’t rule it out.
Is there someone around who can help us paying for hours?

The data occupies 17M, the database 200M and the traffic is very low

We keep testing with php config and server settings…

Best regards.

Sorry, I might have used the wrong word. What I’m wondering is: Does the server have too many sites/services running on it?

If it’s a shared server that’s getting used a lot then you might just not have enough CPU and/or memory allocated to handle the load which will slow each request down. You should be able to monitor the usage to see if that’s the case.

I was able to get the site to load today, but still occasionally getting timeout errors.

how would you handle php restriction open_basedir ?
we tried setting off, and creating a tmp directory (but it is empty)

and what do you recommend with max_children?
after some search, we decide to put: 51

@fackrellj thanks a lot!

the site shares with a couple of sites a dedicated vps server, so, it is not a resources issue

there are no errors due to the open base dir, after adjusting the op cache, RAM, and child max parameter it is more “stable”, but the performance is very-very poor

i continue optimizing the ttf; it is easier with other CMS…

i am astonished with the bots appears in the log, they are visiting the site constantly…

best regards :slight_smile:

Solved!!!
it was the session table, with millions of records, after flushing it, the site goes faster than the roadrunner

1 Like