Problem installing SOLR plugin

I’m trying to get SOLR to work on my Omeka install. I’m getting an error message when I try to run a search query.

Here’s the section from my log:

2016-12-02T10:49:57-08:00 ERR (3): Apache_Solr_HttpTransportException: '404' Status: Not Found in /var/www/html/omeka/plugins/SolrSearch/lib/solr-php-client/Service.php:338
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/omeka/plugins/SolrSearch/lib/solr-php-client/Service.php(1176): Apache_Solr_Service->_sendRawGet('http://localhos...')
#1 /var/www/html/omeka/plugins/SolrSearch/controllers/ResultsController.php(100): Apache_Solr_Service->search('cost', 0, '10', Array)
#2 /var/www/html/omeka/plugins/SolrSearch/controllers/ResultsController.php(65): SolrSearch_ResultsController->_search(0, '10', false)
#3 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): SolrSearch_ResultsController->indexAction()
#4 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('indexAction')
#5 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#6 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#7 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#8 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(79): Zend_Application->run()
#9 /var/www/html/omeka/index.php(23): Omeka_Application->run()
#10 {main}

Any idea what is wrong here? The SOLR admin web interface seems to be working correctly.

This is my current SOLR admin page.

And my current SOLR admin page in Omeka.

If anyone is following, I’ve been able to fix one issue. I can now connect to the SOLR server (I needed to add the core to the “solr.xml” file) but I’m still getting the same error message.

2016-12-05T13:28:22-08:00 ERR (3): Apache_Solr_HttpTransportException: '400' Status: Bad Request in /var/www/html/omeka/plugins/SolrSearch/lib/solr-php-client/Service.php:338
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/omeka/plugins/SolrSearch/lib/solr-php-client/Service.php(1176): Apache_Solr_Service->_sendRawGet('http://localhos...')
#1 /var/www/html/omeka/plugins/SolrSearch/controllers/ResultsController.php(100): Apache_Solr_Service->search('deliberations', 0, '10', Array)
#2 /var/www/html/omeka/plugins/SolrSearch/controllers/ResultsController.php(65): SolrSearch_ResultsController->_search(0, '10', false)
#3 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): SolrSearch_ResultsController->indexAction()
#4 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('indexAction')
#5 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#6 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#7 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#8 /var/www/html/omeka/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(79): Zend_Application->run()
#9 /var/www/html/omeka/index.php(23): Omeka_Application->run()
#10 {main}

Any ideas?

OK, I’ve made some progress on this. I upgraded to Solr 6.3 and was able to connect to the core from Omeka. I can successfully do searches but I’ve noticed that it isn’t indexing the full text of PDF documents. I’m assuming this has something to do with the ExtractRequestHandler (which uses Tika).

This is the relevant section in the solrconfig.xml file:

<requestHandler name="/update/extract" 
     startup="lazy"
      class="solr.extraction.ExtractingRequestHandler" >
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="lowernames">true</str>
      <str name="uprefix">ignored_</str>

<!-- capture link hrefs but ignore div attributes -->
      <str name="captureAttr">true</str>
      <str name="fmap.a">links</str>
      <str name="fmap.div">ignored_</str>
    </lst>
      </requestHandler>

Any suggestions?

I gave up on this. If anyone was able to get this to work successfully please let me know. :slight_smile:

Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? I just installed the PDF to text plug-in and got it to work in creating texts, but clearly not working with a full search. We also are using the solr search and it seems it’s not indexing the text at all.

No, I did give up on that. I spent almost two days trying to get it to work. I finally decided to use Dspace for the project I’m working on.

1 Like

FWIW, following up on this from ages ago and I can’t explain why, but I guess after reindexing enough times it does now work on PDF text. …