Omeka user base size?

Hi team

I would like to know if there is publicly available and citeable information on the size of the use base in the Omeka ecosystem and the different iterations? It’s for my thesis.

Many thanks

Gavin

Hi Gavin,
Thanks for your inquiry. It’s a very tricky question to answer. Since we’re committed to the privacy of our users, we don’t include a pingback mechanism in the software that lets us know about active sites. We do have some data on github downloads of the core packages and the add-ons, but of course downloading a zip doesn’t guarantee that it gets installed. And the various version downloads that do get installed might be new installations or they might be updates of existing sites. Finally, many hosting services allow for one-click installations via Installatron or something like that, and we’ve got no way to track that. All that being said, we’re in the 750,000 lifetime download range for the core packages (Classic and S). And, I can report that on Omeka.net we have ~102,000 users and ~63,000 sites.
Hope that helps some.
Sharon

1 Like

Thanks Sharon

I think that will do for the purpose. My PhD research is focussed on using Omeka S to encourage and enable theatre practitioners in Australia to put their archives online in a linked open way. Widespread adoption and longevity of the open-source platform is an important incentive.

Regards

Gavin

1 Like