Omeka S vs Omeka.net vs. Omeka Classic

We are a small library that wants to develop collections based on our oral history collection. I also would like to do a storymap that details locations of where the speaker is mentioning during the interview. I also want to incorporate pdf files, youtube videos and sound files. I am a newbie and want to make the best choice for our institution. Can you offer me some guidance? I am unfamiliar with some of the terminology and end up getting lost in the descriptions. I have gone through the manuals and some of the forums, however, I am looking for examples of the real world applications the discuss these different types. I also want to know which one is better for using API’s and mapping. Thank you! Theresa

Omeka.net runs on Omeka Classic. It’s useful if your institution’s hosting doesn’t meet the system requirements for Omeka Classic, and/or if you prefer to have all of the plugins and themes pre-installed (rather than dealing with ftp and server files).

There is some discussion of Omeka S vs Omeka Classic in the FAQ here on the forum.

For real-world examples, check out the showcases for Omeka Classic and Omeka.net, and the directory of Omeka S sites.

For oral histories, you might want to take a look at the Oral History Metadata Synchronizer plugin suite for Omeka Classic. You can see it in action on Goin’ North, which is linked from the OHMS page.

Thank you! I will review the information. I appreciate your help.