Omeka S Item Importer: importing is duplicating rather than adding to item set

I’m trying to use the Omeka S Item Importer module to import items’ media to already existing items, item sets, to a cloned instance of an Omeka site. All the item sets and item IDs need to stay the same, all we need to do is replace their media. Background: We used AnyCloud module to host media on Amazon Storage in the original Omeka instance, but now we want to uninstall the AnyCloud module and store the same media, but locally.

I tried to map the data structure correctly in the importer’s settings. What I don’t understand is that I selected the specific item set in the Local Configuration, so that the imported items should be added to that item set. What it ended up doing was creating a duplicate item set in the system, with a different ID.

Under the Data Types tab, I mapped literal to literal, and customvocab:6 and customvocab:5 to their respective names so that local and remote match. Also under the Templates tab, I mapped the same resource template name.

I’m just wondering what I could be doing wrong and what I should be doing in order for this to be a success.

Thanks for any advice.

If I understand you correctly, you’re attempting to move media from Amazon Storage to your local installation. The OSII module cannot do this. Its built to copy items from one installation to another, not selectively move media from previously configured external storage to the local server.

Even so, I am a bit confused how you successfully created a snapshot. What did you use as a remote “root endpoint”? Did you use your local installation’s root endpoint? Do you have some other Omeka installation that you’re using?

Ok, thanks for confirming that. Is there a module or app you’d recommend that is best practice for that sort of operation?

For the root endpoint, I just used our main live Omeka site’s /api url, so https://digitalcollections.union.edu/api

I was able to import an entire item set, items and media to another instance of Omeka S - and actually, I did reassign that newly imported item set to one of our sites, and it did work for that…but that could be messy and not necessarily work for every site we have.

I’m not super familiar with AnyCloud specifically, but in general, the usual case for switching away from cloud storage just involves syncing/downloading the cloud storage contents to the local “files” folder, then deactivating or uninstalling the cloud storage module so normal local storage is used again. I’d imagine it’s the same with AnyCloud when using S3.

To do the syncing you’d just use an outside client, for example aws s3 sync as provided by Amazon’s official AWS CLI.

1 Like