Omeka S as OEmbed provider

I’m looking at ways to enhance Matterport-based tours of our museum with short audio files and hating the soundcloud approach.

I tried loading the clips into Omeka S as media files and using the direct https links to the files. I also tried the Sharing module embed links and Iiif Server links for good measure. I tried mp4, mp3 and wav versions of the files.

I’m guessing Matterport is using OEmbed to ingest the audio files, but when I link to the files in Omeka S as any of the above, no joy.

I’m an OEmbed noob, but as I understand it, Omeka would need a URL scheme and API endpoint pair, which I had assumed the Sharing module had implemented, however it looks like it generates an HTML page and gives the option to embed it as an iFrame.

Wondering if has anyone looked at a OEmbed provider module? From what I can tell each site would have to add themselves to the public provider registry.

Any other suggested solutions?

On Omeka S 2.1.0, btw

1 Like

The simplest way to do that is to use the module Sharing, where there is a code to embed an item. As the OEmbed is a simple format, it is easy to update it to follow the standard.

Ideally, it should be a core feature, not a module one, but the distinction between core and modules is not clear and there is no clear roadmap, so it’s hard to say.

Hello, I don’t totally understand the answer: the concept of oembed is not only to generate a “html snippet” to embed the document elsewhere, but also, an API endpoint which generate a JSON with all the neccessary informations (title, author, html snippet, thumbnail, etc).

Ideally any embedable item would have infos in HTML metas, with the oembed API endpoint, and then any oembed reader could find all, only with the public URL of the item, and could follow the process :

1. get the public URL of the item
  2. find the oembed API endpoint in the metas or headers (myomeka.tld/oembed for ex)
  3. give the public item URL to the oembed endpoint (myomeka.tld/oembed?url=myomeka.tld/s/mysite/item/123)
  4. get the JSON returned with all infos and the final HTML snippet if necessary (or the image URL etc)

If I understand, there is no plugin to transform omeka s in a real “oembed server/provider” ?

There isn’t currently a module for that as far as I’m aware.

I think what Daniel was suggesting is that Sharing has little snippets designed for iframing on remote sites already, that a reasonable path toward doing this might be to alter Sharing so it produces the necessary oEmbed data, with the actual embed content being an iframe pointing to the “embed” view Sharing already has.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.