Omeka.net and DPLA

I know this forum is not for omeka.net users, but I don’t know who else to ask, and thought that maybe there are enough former omeka.net users to help. I have already used the omeka.net contact form and was unable to get a satistfactory resolution to my problem.

I am pleased with omeka.net. Because I have an uncooperative IT team, I have to use omeka.net instead of having it on our local servers. There’s also no free regional digital repository that I could participate in.

I installed the OAI-PMH Harvester plug-in and my photos were being harvested by Digital Public Library of America (DPLA). All was good in May. Then I looked again in July, and all the images are broken links in DPLA (see boynton beach | Search Results | DPLA).

I contacted my DPLA hub, and they contacted DPLA, who said that they think the problem was “the thumbnails that are being provided are to an Amazon S3 asset which has an expiration time on the URLs.”

So I wrote omeka.net help through the contact form and was told:
We do not plan to change the setting to prevent the links from expiring. Omeka.net runs on Omeka Classic, but there are a few small differences. This is a server setting, but for a few reasons we are not going to change it.

And later “The links reset after a period of around two weeks. If this is vital to your project, you might consider a different hosting option, such as Reclaim. [I don’t know what this is] We do not believe most Omeka.net users are tied in to DPLA, due to the issue here.”

So. Is there anyone out there who gets their omeka.net site harvested by DPLA? And if so, how do you get around this problem? Does a two week reset mean the DPLA records will sometimes have thumbnails? Why can’t omeka.net have unexpired URLs?

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.