MediaWiki API URL error: unable to resolve

I have installed the Scripto plug-in in Omeka 2.5.1, but the MediaWiki API URL that I thought was correct produces an error message when I click “Save Changes” on the Scripto configuration page. I have searched both these forums and the Internet for a solution but found none that worked. I realize that many others before me have had this problem; I apologize in advance if I overlooked the solution. I also thank in advance anyone who can steer me onto the correct path (pun intended).
I am running Omeka locally using MAMP. My Omeka files are therefore in MAMP’s htdocs directory. I have also placed my MediaWiki directory, mediawiki-1.23.15, in htdocs as well. (Note: the MediaWiki directory is not in the Omeka directory, but adjacent to/in the same directory with the Omeka directory. I read elsewhere that putting the MediaWiki directory in the Omeka directory could cause problems. That isn’t the case here.)
I thought, based on the configuration instructions I read, that the correct MediaWiki API URL would be localhost:8888/mediawiki-1.23.15/api.php, but that produces the following error message(s):

Omeka_Plugin_Installer_Exception: Invalid MediaWiki API URL in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/plugins/Scripto/ScriptoPlugin.php:235 Stack trace: #0 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/application/libraries/Omeka/Plugin/Broker.php(145): ScriptoPlugin->hookConfig(Array) #1 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/application/controllers/PluginsController.php(57): Omeka_Plugin_Broker->callHook('config', Array, Object(Plugin)) #2 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): PluginsController->configAction() #3 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('configAction') #4 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http)) #5 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch() #6 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run() #7 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(77): Zend_Application->run() #8 /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/germanpostcardsproject/admin/index.php(28): Omeka_Application->run() #9 {main}

I have tried omitting parts of the URL, among others things, but nothing has worked.
Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

That error happens when the client can’t resolve the provided API URL. What happens when you go to http://localhost:8888/mediawiki-1.23.15/api.php in your browser? If that doesn’t work try http://localhost/mediawiki-1.23.15/api.php

Well, this is…embarrassing.
I had typed up a long response to your message, responding to your questions but also noting that technically I hadn’t provided an API URL, because each URL I tried would produce an error message in Omeka when I tried to save that configuration setting.
And then I looked at your response again, noted that the URLs you suggested were complete–that is, they included “http://”, and it dawned on me that I might not have ever included that in any of my attempts.
I appended it to the URL and voila, Omeka saved my configuration settings.
That’s not necessarily what your reply was aiming at, but you helped me nonetheless.
Thank you very much!!

This topic was automatically closed after 250 days. New replies are no longer allowed.