Is Omeka Classic the right platform?

I am thinking about using Omeka Classic for a digital archive project that showcases artists’ archives and have some general questions.

Can anyone recommend projects that have used the Contribution plugin? C
In particular, I am interested in options to curate user contributed material.

Is the website interface customizable at all?

Also, I will require storage options such as the Amazon S3 service. I’m looking for up to 8 TB of storage. Does anyone know what this might cost? Do any of you have experience with the the S3 service for your storage needs. I am applying for grant funding for and need to have an idea of what the costs might be to to use this service.

I think Omeka Classic is a great platform for a targeted digital archive (I’m not sure of the consensus, but I think of Omeka S as a better use case only for large institutions with specific institutional needs). There’s a good thread on this forum discussing the differences.

If you’re using one of the default themes, the Contribution plugin is pretty much plug and play. If you’re using a custom theme and/or really want to control the small details, you can create your own modified templates for things like logging in, account management, etc., but that’s pretty straight-forward (be sure to copy the existing templates into your theme directory rather than editing directly).

The plugin templates are as easy to alter/replace as the theme templates if you have some experience with PHP, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. The Omeka API is well-documented and pretty easy to learn.

You can calculate estimated S3 costs at calculator.s3.amazonaws.com. I’ve configured S3 sites but am less familiar with the pricing side. I think it depends on usage, which makes it difficult to assess if you’re not sure how much traffic you’ll have.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.