Is Neatline plug-in compatible with Omeka-S?

Hello,

We are running Omeka S, but we need to use a “Neatline” plug-in for our project. It looks"Neatline" is only for Omeka-Classic. Is it compatible with Omeka-S?

Thanks for your help.
Best,

Hi ataybe01,

Neatline is not yet compatible with OmekaS. We’re working on that now, but it will be some time before the new plugin is available.

Best,
Ronda

Hi rondagrizzle,

I came across this and it looks like there is a Neatline for Omeka-S. (https://daniel-km.github.io/UpgradeToOmekaS/omeka_s_modules.html). Do you think this is something we could use with Omeka-S?

Thanks again for your help.
Best,

We develop Neatline here at Scholars’ Lab. This site isn’t something I know anything about, nor have we been in contact with anyone who’s asked to do this work.

Making Neatline work with Omeka S is a COMPLETE rewrite of the codebase that we’ve been working on and preparing to do for a couple of years now. I’m really suspicious that this code will work with Omeka S, to be honest.

Having said that, it’s your server and your install, but please understand that this fork of Neatline is not ours, nor do we endorse or support it.

Best,
Ronda

1 Like

I did a little more digging, apologies for not doing this before.

The link above is pointing to the github repo for Performant Software, who are our development partners for the current work on Neatline, so this is valid code, but the work is very preliminary, and there are key features missing from the software. Please don’t install this on your system! I’d hate for you to get the idea that Neatline won’t work, when the reality is that it’s just not ready yet.

Best,
Ronda

Hi Ronda,

Thank for your message. That will put the feasibility of our project into question. The two main requirements of our project are: a) must have a Neatline plug-in b) must have relational data functionalities

Omeka Classic has a Neatline plug-in but does not have relational data functionalities. That is why we moved to Omeka-S. Now, it looks like Omeka-S has relational data functionalities, but does not have a Neatline module.

Could you recommend some other plug-ins that could help our situation?

Thanks very much for your help.
Best,

Could you say more about the relational data functionality requirement? There might be a plugin for Classic that might work (or it might be possible to write one).

Hello patrickmj,

Thank you for your message. Our project focuses on a historical site, where we are looking for a relational data functionality that will involve People, Properties, Structures, Features, Events, Date/Time, etc. Is there a plug-in that could work for us?

Thanks again for your help.
Best,

Interesting! There are a lot of relations going on there. If they are all represented by an Item, then the Item Relations plugin might do what you need to define the relations, but call for some theme customization to express them the way you need. If some (Properties, Date/Time) aren’t actually Items, which seems to make sense, a combo of Item Relations and Search By Metadata might get pretty close.

Hi patrickmj,

My boss informed me that we do not want to use Omeka Classic, since we are going to need multiple repositories in the future. So we are back to step 1: How can we make Neatline work with Omeka-S? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Best,

How urgent is your need for Neatline, and which functions of it are you hoping to use? It is, as @rondagrizzle says, in development. You could start building the repository of items with anticipation of implementing Neatline when it is ready.

Yes, the plugin UpgradeToOmekaS imports data only, it does not convert plugins (but it converts part of the themes)…

If the plugin is already upgraded, it will download the new module and it will import metadata automatically in it.