Internationalized Omeka S

Great! I was thinking that attaching a language label to the whole URI (URI label + link) and not just to the URI label would actually give more flexibility.

Another related idea and again I have no idea if this is feasible or not:
would it be possible to enter in a csv file both an URI and its label in two different columns?
At the moment, I can import the column containing the links as URI but cannot import the column containing the labels, right?

A general question: so would the best way to handle the multilingual issue still be to have the parallel sites managed within Omeka-S? Iā€™ve just installed it in part to do thisā€¦ we have a bilingual English-Chinese site. Have no problem working on the Transifex for Chinese (I signed up a while ago) if this is the case.

I think where we are at the moment with S, the best option is parallel sites. The items can be shared and each item can have multilingual values, but the siteā€™s content is single-language. To support this workflow, each site can have its own Locale setting for choosing translation language, date display, and so on.

The locale setting could be used for other things (like choosing which metadata values to show or prioritize), but in the current stock themes weā€™re not doing that.

1 Like

Thanks @jflatnes I think thatā€™s what weā€™ll do - we donā€™t need the site content to be changed. Right now we use the Item Relations plug-in in Omeka Classic for that anyways - and only on a few documents. The vast majority of our content will remain in only one language. We just need the rest to be localized because some of our users (as weā€™re finding out) canā€™t navigate or read the metadata in English very well at all.

A post was split to a new topic: Omeka S translation questions