I have several questions…and not sure where to begin.
I am with the FLEXspace initiative - Flexible Learning Environments Exchange - an open resource for academic users that houses examples of campus learning spaces. We have a fairly established database of images and metatags that is currently housed on Shared Shelf / Artstor. We have to migrate away from that site, and are considering doing a custom build for a mobile platform/tool (we’ve had a new interface designed and prototype built.) however, we don’t yet have the full funds for that, and just learned about Omeka. This looks like it could be a great fit for our needs, as an interim solution or perhaps even longer term!!
I have many questions about what it would take to migrate our data to the Omeka system.
What template would fit our needs to:
Have a variety of file types (images, videos, pdfs, xls)
- Browse, search, and filter spaces
- User login required
- Admin staff would curate some spaces into collections
- Admin would manage user permissions (even better to be automated somewhat)
- Users can upload and metatag their own data
- Users can ‘tag’ their favorites and organize favorites into ‘lists’
- Users can share their favorites by either exporting to PDF, PPT, etc., or sharing a link with other users
- Do we need AWS as hosting service?
- Or do we host with you? With GoDaddy? etc?
- How should our data best be exported to easily import to this?
- JSON, XLS, CSV, etc.?
- How much effort is involved to create the interface and our collection, and what skills does the person need?
thank you so much for your assistance!