I cannot override a page layout

Hi.

I was trying to override the home page layout. I was aware that saving a template in site/page/home.phtml could override the page layout or create the content that in $this->content used in the layout.phtml.
Although the manual suggests that “Subfolders correspond to the pages that are seen along url patterns”, it does not work.
Then I tried to override other pages, such as {base url}/page/test with a layout in view/omeka/site/page/test.phtml in my theme with no effects.

Am I wrong?
Can only the layout of specific parts, such as item and item-set be defined?
Is it not possible to define the layout of the home page?
From where does the content of $this->content come?
Is the path suggested in the documentation “subfolders correspond to the pages that are seen along url patterns” correct?

I have omeka-s, and I have set a default website.

Thank you.

Nicola.

You’re looking at documentation for Omeka Classic there, not Omeka S, as best I can tell (though if I’m wrong, please point me at the documentation page you’re looking at).

To a certain extent, like for the pages for viewing and browsing items, sets, and media, the files do follow a structure parallel to the URL. But pages, the pages the user can edit and pick the name and slug of, those work a little differently and the view file they use doesn’t correspond with their URLs.

All user-created pages render with the same view: view/omeka/site/page/show.phtml (and view/omeka/site/page/content.phtml, which renders the actual user-provided content within each page). If you want to change pages so that ones at certain slugs do something different, you’d have to override that theme view and check $page->slug() to decide what to do. There’s no automatic system that loads different views for different user-created pages.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Using the slug to render different layout is a good option.
I can now change the layout of the user created page content from the content.phtml template, as you suggest.

However, I cannot define a template for items, item-set, etc.
I tried to add a template such as .phtml, show.phtml, and browse.phtml in omeka/site/item-set/, but it does not work.

I am reading the Omeka-s documentation:
https://omeka.org/s/docs/developer/themes/theme_modifications/

Can you share a specific example of an override you’re trying that’s not working, with the exact name of the file within the theme you’re trying to use? Item set show is a unique case because it doesn’t have its own view (it shares the item browse view), but other than they should work fine and in the way you’ve described.