I am working on a project and have decided to use Omeka for registry purposes. However, I am unfamiliar with the software, and even though it looks easy to use, I prefer someone with experience and the right know-how to set up the basics for me, just to get me started listing items.
For now, I am just looking to have the basic “infrastructure” ready to start entering items. I don’t really care about how the website looks (at least, for now), just about proper categorization, filters, metadata, advanced search, and geolocation/mapping (tools).
To give you a basic idea of what I would like. Some of these things are basic features of Omeka Classic and a click of a button away, but I have included them to give you a complete picture:
- Have items divided into collections, for example “monuments”
- Each items is then subdivided into a category of its own, for example “religious buildings”, and ideally, even narrowed down further, e.g. “church”. I am not sure if this is possible though, there are “elements” and “item types”, but not sure how to properly nest everything to achieve what I want.
Other data that each item page should include:
- Title of the monument in the main language, which is English, and optionally one or two additional languages (I can enter it right below the English title, but I don’t know if that’s best practice for SEO purposes. Should each language for example have its own field with associated language code?).
- Year it was built/period it belongs to (date).
- Registration number / ID (e.g. a national registration number).
- Internal registration number / ID (for own administration).
- Photos / docs, downloadable item report.
All of the data above should be searchable, ideally in an advanced search form where users can narrow it down by collection, type, sub-type, year, etc.
That’s about it.
Can anyone help with this? I already have a domain, hosting, and the app + most of the available Omeka Classic plugins (and some additional themes) installed.