.htaccess not rewriting urls

Good Morning,

I’m having difficulty attempting to install Omeka-S. All dependencies has been installed, and I’ve verified that the app itself is running.

When going to the install, it redirects to /install - at which point apache gives a 404 because /install does not exist. I have verified the following:

mod_rewrite is enabled
AllowOverride is set to All
Directory and DocumentRoot is correct

The .htaccess file is being read - if I add some garbage to it, it causes a 500.

Any help would be appreciated!

Configuration:

Apache:
Server version: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
Server built: Sep 21 2017 20:51

PHP:
PHP 5.6.31-1~dotdeb+7.1 (cli) (built: Jul 10 2017 17:58:17)
Copyright © 1997-2016 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright © 1998-2016 Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.0.6-dev, Copyright © 1999-2016, by Zend Technologies

I’m going to hope that this is a quirk on some linux systems that we’ve seen in Omeka Classic. First thing to try is to go to install/install.php. That’s often the solution for similar problems in Classic, at least, so it’s worth a try.

Thanks,

I’ve managed to get it going by moving the rewrite rules out of .htaccess and into the main apache vhost.

Very odd though, as adding my own rules into there works fine. Perhaps there is a rule that apache 2.2 isn’t very fond of (we migrated away from Apache, so our config isn’t 2.4 compatible).

Is 2.2 a supported configuration?

Best,
Brian

My next guess is that something in the server configuration might not have been respecting the .htaccess file.

Both Apache 2.2 and 2.4 are supported.

I’m not sure of what would make the rules work in the main configuration and not the .htaccess for you, particularly since you say you double-checked that the server was actually reading the file. We also haven’t changed the .htacess rules for S in a while. What version were you trying to install?