How to build Modules

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on where to find good sources for learning the nitty gritty of module development for Omeka S. I have been trying to research online and on Lynda.com, but I haven’t really found anything extensive.

I know there’s this one page on the Omeka documentation site, but I’m looking for more in depth training so as to learn how to build working modules. http://omeka.org/s/docs/developer/key_concepts/modules/

Thank you!

We haven’t built up complete tutorials, but Omeka S is built on top of Zend Framework, so their guide is probably a good place to start. We use some additional libraries, especially Doctrine for database work, so there will be some additional things to look at. Peeking at existing modules will go a little way in that direction, depending on what exactly you need to put together.

If you are close enough to the DC area on June 22, there’s also a workshop planned for module developers. I imagine at least some of the materials we put together for that will find their way online.

1 Like

Thanks! Oh that’s great to hear that there are workshops available. I was just telling my boss that I would like to find Omeka conferences or something related to learn and connect with other developers.

For connections to Omeka developers, and digital humanities more generally, you might look for a THATCamp (or organize one!) in your area.