How do I re-order the details of an item as they appear to a site visitor?

I am just starting out using Omeka for a collection of family photographs, and I really like it so far. I’m using Omeka version 2.4.1 on a DreamHost site which I installed using the One-Click install method.

When an item is clicked on, and the item’s profile page is shown, the photo thumbnail is located way down on the page, requiring scrolling to get to it. I’d like it to be “above the fold,” just under the title, or maybe even aligned right with the text wrapping around it if that’s possible. Is there a way to control the order in which the details are shown to site visitors?

For just moving the image(s) above the metadata info, you’ll just need to make a small change in your theme’s items/show.php file. Depending on the theme, there should be something similar to this:

<?php echo all_element_texts('item'); ?>

<!-- The following returns all of the files associated with an item. -->
<?php if (metadata('item', 'has files') && (get_theme_option('Item FileGallery') == 1)): ?>
<div id="itemfiles" class="element">
    <h3><?php echo __('Files'); ?></h3>
    <div class="element-text"><?php echo item_image_gallery(); ?></div>
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

Just move the <?php echo all_element_texts('item'); ?> line below the if...endif part to move things around. If you also want to reorder the metadata elements themselves, you can do that on the admin side by editing the Element Set under Settings.

Awesome, thank you so much for those instructions! It worked perfectly. In fact, I was able to add an inline style to the DIV that contains the thumbnail photos, so it has a background color and floats right. Not sure I’ll keep it that way but it’s good to see how to make changes with that PHP file. Thanks again!