Help! Hitting limitation with number of records?

Hi everyone,

I have hit a snag with our Omeka instance. We currently have 53,474 records in Omeka Classic Version 2.6.1. Last Tuesday, I uploaded 900 additional records via the CSV importer. Everything seemed cool until our cataloger started working. She notice that performance was sluggish, especially when saving. Yesterday, we were getting the error

omeka_db already has more than ‘max_user_connections’ active connections. Confirm that the information in your db.ini file is correct.

My server admin restarted mysql and httpd daemons as they were using a large amount of server resources. This didn’t help the situation. I also increased number of max_user_connections in my.cnf and that didn’t help either.

I undid the import of the 900 additional records and things seem better now. So my question is, have a I reached a limit with how many items the database can handle? would upgrading to omeka classic 2.7 extend things for me or perhaps migrate to Omeka-S? Any advice for where to go from here would be much appreciated. We are using Omeka as our image cataloging interface and access interface.

Thank you in advance! Jen AMNH Library Systems Librarian

There’s not really a “limit” on the number of records, at any rate not one that’s anywhere near as low as the numbers you’re talking about.

I’m not sure that it’s really the 900-record import that was responsible for your issues… running out of connections and using lots of apache and mysql resources sounds more like having heavy traffic to your site (possibly from bots) and it’s possible the traffic is just no longer occurring.

There’s all sorts of things you could potentially do in terms of performance for PHP, Apache, and MySQL and maybe there’s something you should look into but that’s all really dependent on your workload/traffic, the size of your database, and the hardware you’re running on.

As a practical matter, I wouldn’t say 50,000 records should be an issue for most server setups, though.

Upgrading to 2.7 is probably just a generally good idea but isn’t likely to make much of a difference. Omeka S would be a very big change and is unlikely to help either.

Hi John,

Thank you so much for the response. I’m speaking with our IT department to see what can be done. Kind regards, Jen

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.