Formatting of body text lost after saving

I have created a ‘Page’ that contains multiple ‘Blocks’ organized as ‘file with text’ bodies. I copy a formatted text from a Word document into the text body of a block, preserving all formatting (superscript, underline, bold, etc.). The source code for the entire block looks as follows (sorry, it’s German, but the point still stands, as underlined words are framed by tags):

<p style="text-align: justify; margin-left: 35px; width: 90%; margin-bottom: 30px;">[Blatt 181]<em>&nbsp;</em><em></em></p>
<p style="text-align: justify; margin-left: 35px; width: 90%; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;">Geschäften nichts zu haben. <u>Wetter</u> schön, nachts Nebel. Letzten Sonntag hatten wir wieder zwei Mann zur <u>Schulung nach Georgsmarienhütte</u>. (Laumann und Hälker.) Nächsten Sonntag sollen Birkemeyer und Ostendorf hin. <u>Karl Maag</u> ist verwundet, Granatsplitter überm linken Auge. (Rußland.)</p>

Once I save the insertion of the text using the ‘Save Changes’ button (this saving is also successful), the previously adopted formatting disappears. The source code for the same text body then looks as follows:

<p style="text-align: justify; margin-left: 35px; width: 90%; margin-bottom: 30px;">[Blatt 181]<em>&nbsp;</em><em></em></p>
<p style="text-align: justify; margin-left: 35px; width: 90%; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;">Geschäften nichts zu haben. Wetter schön, nachts Nebel. Letzten Sonntag hatten wir wieder zwei Mann zur Schulung nach Georgsmarienhütte. (Laumann und Hälker.) Nächsten Sonntag sollen Birkemeyer und Ostendorf hin. Karl Maag ist verwundet, Granatsplitter überm linken Auge. (Rußland.)</p>

Could you please explain to me what causes this error and how it can be prevented? I’m using OMEKA classic via my web browser (tried both Firefox and Chrome for that matter). Collaborating co-workers don’t face the same problem although settings are the same.

Unfortunately your formatting is also not being shown by the forum. You can paste in the coded version with the tags; that would be helpful. Or you can take a screenshot of the window you’re pasting into, before saving the page, and share that.

Are you pasting into the “source code” window and seeing tags, or are you pasting into the first Text window and seeing the formatted text?

If you’re posting into the source code window, are you seeing HTML (<b> or <bold> or <strong>) or something like Markdown (**bold text** and *italic text*) or BB ([bold]text[/bold]) when you copy-paste out of Word into Omeka?

@vloos I’ve edited your initial post to make the tags visible.

So, am I correct in reading it that the difference between the two is that all the <u> tags are removed?

My first guess if that’s the case is that you might not have the u tag set as allowed in your settings under Settings → Security. Check if it’s there under “Allowed HTML Elements.” You can add u to the list there if it’s not.

@jflatnes thanks so much for your quick reply. That solved the problem!