Evaluating Omeka - Exporting Entire Collection?

Hi,

I’m evaluating Omeka for a group and one of the concerns that they have is about the control of their data and ability to export their entire collection (files + metadata) in the future. This would be for a standalone installation of Omeka.

I’ve been been doing some reading on Google and the forums but I’m still not sure what the best approach to this would be.

It seems like the METS Export plugin would be a nice standardized way way to go but I cannot figure out if the export includes the files themselves in some way?

There is also this PythonOmekaApiToCsv plugin that doesn’t include the files in the export but it makes me think that it would be possible to write something similar that would export the files as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the best approach to accomplish this would be? I’m a developer so writing code isn’t an issues.

Again the group is just evaluating Omeka so I don’t need anything right now but they want to be sure that they will be able to export all of their data in the future if they ever decide to move to another platform.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

We are big believers in being able to get your data out, so there are lots of options.

We’ve had an OAI-PMH Repository plugin for a long time. I think METS Export provides at least links to files, so that they can be ingested elsewhere.

But the most current and general approach is to use the Omeka API. That’s what the PythonOmekaToCsv script uses, which is based on Caleb McDaniel’s scripts. This exposes the most data, including files, in a way that can be grabbed by whatever external script you choose, modify, or write.

Hi Patrickmj.

How I can send the item and file to Dspace Collection?

Alas, I’m not familiar enough with DSpace’s import mechanisms to give any useful guidance. That’s probably a question better answered on their side. We can get CSV and/or a JSON representation out of Omeka, but I don’t know what the options are on the DSpace side.

I have an installation with Omeka and DSpace and DSpace get items metadata via OAI-PMH.
To use a standard process avoids to maintain a specific tool. If you change DSpace with another tool in some years, you won’t have to rewrite the specific tool. The same if you’ll upgrade Omeka Classic to Omeka-S.
Note that DSpace doesn’t manage mets by default: the default format is a modified Dublin Core. Mets is the best format for long term conservation, because it manages all metadata and files.