Error Log Decipher?

I hope someone can help! My site (which is collecting contributions) is up and running and working… hooray!!! BUT on two occasions users have uploaded items and those items have appeared in the “items” list, and not in the Contributed Items list. The user seems disconnected from the items (they don’t link in the citation for example) - the first time it happened it was a one off and I just shrugged! The second user is actually trying to upload a lot of items and wants to help troubleshoot the problem so I have activated the error logging and have some info about how she is doing it. I have to say, the overwhelming majority of contributions to the site are working just fine… this user though uploads a picture and then gets the "Omeka encountered an error’ message. She tells me she is uploading from an IPhone 11.

This is the error log for her attempt today to upload a photo:

2020-05-21T20:21:18+00:00 WARN (4): Error output from ImageMagick:
convert: delegate failed `'ffmpeg' -nostdin -v -1 -i '%i' -vframes %S -vcodec pam -an -f rawvideo -y '%u.pam' 2> '%u'' @ error/delegate.c/InvokeDelegate/1928.
convert: no images defined `/tmp/fullsize_f71a5eeb88888fb78c58a695d25a1cc4.jpg' @ error/convert.c/ConvertImageCommand/3235.

2020-05-21T20:21:18+00:00 ERR (3): ImageMagick failed with status code 1.
2020-05-22T12:15:08+00:00 ERR (3): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x8D\xAB ' for column 'text' at row 1 in /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
Stack trace:
#0 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Statement.php(303): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(480): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Omeka/Db.php(80): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('INSERT INTO `om...', Array)
#3 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Omeka/Db.php(257): Omeka_Db->__call('query', Array)
#4 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php(541): Omeka_Db->insert('omkm1_element_t...', Array)
#5 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/models/Mixin/ElementText.php(670): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->save()
#6 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/models/Mixin/ElementText.php(93): Mixin_ElementText->saveElementTexts()
#7 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php(254): Mixin_ElementText->afterSave(Array)
#8 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php(283): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->delegateToMixins('afterSave', Array, true)
#9 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Omeka/Record/AbstractRecord.php(548): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->runCallbacks('afterSave', Array)
#10 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/plugins/Contribution/controllers/ContributionController.php(283): Omeka_Record_AbstractRecord->save()
#11 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/plugins/Contribution/controllers/ContributionController.php(76): Contribution_ContributionController->_processForm(Array)
#12 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): Contribution_ContributionController->contributeAction()
#13 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('contributeActio...')
#14 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#15 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#16 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#17 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(73): Zend_Application->run()
#18 /home/stradbro/pandemic.stradbrokearchive.org.uk/index.php(23): Omeka_Application->run()
#19 {main}

I’m guessing its something to do with creating a derivative image… but why just the occasional user?
If anyone can point me towards fixing this I would be grateful.
Claire x

The first message is just telling you that there was a problem trying to make a thumbnail for a video. It shouldn’t be an issue, really. It’s also on a different day than your next message so it’s also just not related.

The second, that’s something different: it’s complaining about part of the input when saving the metadata for the item: this is fairly likely to me more about the text of the contribution than the photo. The string it’s complaining about there looks like it might be an emoji… the emoji for a chocolate bar, specifically. Does that sound right? It won’t appear in the saved item (since it caused an error) but you could check with the user trying to make the contribution (or try a submission with an emoji yourself).

The trouble here is: Omeka Classic’s database doesn’t let you save emoji; it uses MySQL’s “utf8” support, which doesn’t support lots of “newer” characters like the majority of emoji. There’s a newer “utf8mb4” option that allows these characters and others, but Omeka Classic supports quite old versions of MySQL that don’t have this option, so we still use the older, more widely compatible setting.

It’s possible to change this for your own install, but it involves editing the database.

1 Like

ah… i did wonder if they were different items - I can see the thumbnail issue with the video, but that isn’t proving to be a big issue. (it would be nice if I could assign a thumbnail to a video, but having read around on the forums I can understand why that isn’t a thing right now!)

YEP! recreated the issue with emojis… That is hilarious - I was convinced it was going to be something complicated!!! I’m not convinced it is the only problem , but I can at least edit the submission page to say no to emojis, and I will keep the error log on to see if I capture anything else… You are a superstar! Thank you xxx

This topic was automatically closed after 250 days. New replies are no longer allowed.