CSV import media import via URL. Removing URL element without losing media

Dear community,

I am in the process of batch importing 2700+ items, each of them with a pdf media component.

I have uploaded these PDFs to a folder on my server, and provided CSV import with the URLs so omeka downloads the files and adds them to the “file” folder within the install.

All is going well, but my questions is regarding the next step.

Once the files are inside my omeka s install, I will no longer want these PDFs occupying additional space on my server, neither I want the element URL to be visible on my items, if possible.

How can I do that with the CSV import batch “delete” option, without losing the actual files that are now assigned to each item?

I hope my explanation makes sense and that this helps others trying something similar.

Thanks a million in advance,

Pedro

Hi, I think what you’re asking is “Can Omeka delete all the original files, after it imports successfully?” and the answer to that is no. I don’t think Omeka should ever have the ability to do anything to files outside its own installation. You should manually delete the files you uploaded to your server, once you manually confirm that the import into Omeka was successful.

The second question - “How can all the media get renamed so that it no longer shows the original file URL that it imported from?” - you can use CSV Import to edit metadata for your media. That old file URL is the default content of the media’s title field, so you just need to replace that. One column is the media ID, one column is Title.
If I’m recalling correctly, CSV Import can skip rows it doesn’t recognize, so you could make a really simple spreadsheet with “1”-“2700” (or however many you need) as the ID column, and you wouldn’t need to specify only media IDs that actually exist.

You could just make the ID the title, i.e. media ID #16 can just get the title “16”, to keep it simple for now, and replace them with something more useful later if you want. If you want to retain file names but cut all the path information (e.g. keep “FileTitle.pdf” from the “yourwebsite.blah/blah/blah/files/FileTitle.pdf” value) that would be more complicated - you might be able to generate that from a CSV Export or something clever like that.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.