Copy and Paste Hebrew words are reversed

When copy and paste Hebrew words to a data field, it is displayed as reversed. It is saved in the correct order in database though. Is there a setting to allow data displayed from RTL in a form field??

I’m not seeing that behavior… I think, anyway. Does it matter at all where you copy from?

My quick-and-dirty source of Hebrew text was the Hebrew Wikipedia, but it appeared to maintain the proper right-to-left display direction both in the form input and the display on the item page.

No, it does not matter. I copied from word documents, excel or notepad. They are all reversed. I just found a quick fix: use hebrev($text) to reverse it back.

Does it matter what browser you use?

Otherwise, can you post screenshots illustrating the problem?

No, it is the same for all browsers. Please see a screenshot of the admin interface.

Can you also show what it’s supposed to look like? You could do a screenshot or just past the Hebrew text directly here.

I was mistakenly trying this out in S (I misread your initial post), but I went back in Classic and tried with the text “שטויב” which I believe is part of the text you’re trying to use and it seemed to maintain the proper order (again, as best as I can tell).

Screenshot from 2018-04-24 16-20-16

It should be like this:

screen

Does pasting the actual text into the forum’s textbox work? The issue here is just with the punctuation, it seems. That’s a fairly common problem with mixed bidirectional text: the browsers try to detect whether the punctuation is surrounded by LTR or RTL text and apply correctly (plus flipping the direction of things like brackets).

Still, I’m not having a problem with this text:

מלחמה שטויב [באנ‬ד איינס]

(i’m not sure if that’s 100% accurate but it should be close enough for the technical aspect at any rate). I suspect your source text might have some issue with what it actually contains, like one of the brackets is actually the wrong type, or there’s a Unicode LRM or RLM (left-to-right and right-to-left markers, respectively, which are used to control the ordering of other “neutral” characters like punctuation).

If you copy that text from here, do you have the same problem?

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.