Config Smtp.gmail to create users

I am currently Configuring file: /omeka-2.4/application/config# nano config.ini

mail.transport.type = "Smtp"
mail.transport.host = "smtp.gmail.com"
mail.transport.port =25; Port number, if applicable.
;mail.transport.name = “” ; Local client hostname, e.g. “localhost”
;mail.transport.auth = “login” ; For authentication, if required.
mail.transport.username = "biblab@uninorte.edu.co"
mail.transport.password = "******"
mail.transport.ssl = “tls” ; For SSL support, set to “ssl” or “tls”

but I get the following error:

Omeka ha encontrado un error

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception
Connection timed out

exception 'Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception' with message 'Connection timed out' in /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:277
Stack trace:
#0 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(167): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_connect('tcp://smtp.gmai...')
#1 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(199): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->connect()
#2 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
#3 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
#4 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/controllers/UsersController.php(395): Zend_Mail->send()
#5 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/controllers/UsersController.php(174): UsersController->sendActivationEmail(Object(User))
#6 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): UsersController->addAction()
#7 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('addAction')
#8 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#9 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#10 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#11 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(79): Zend_Application->run()
#12 /DATOS/sitios/omeka-2.4/admin/index.php(28): Omeka_Application->run()

Thank you very much for your suggestions

Are you sure those settings are right? In particular, I seem to remember the Gmail SMTP not using port 25.

You right!

work in this way:

1. mail.transport.type = “Sendmail”
  2. mail.transport.type = “Smtp”
  3. mail.transport.host = “unimail…”
  4. mail.transport.port =25;
  5. mail.transport.ssl = “tls”

Many thanks for you help

Check this SMTP settings

Lynda

Hi John, I have problems sending email with the Simple Contact Form plugin. I have configured the config.ini file as you suggested in another forum. Also, using the Contribute plugin, the confirmation email is not sent.

These are my settings:

; default: “Sendmail”
;
; The default is to send mail using PHP’s built-in mail() function.
;mail.transport.type = “Sendmail”
; Uncomment some of the following lines (and comment the above line)
; to switch to SMTP for sending mail through Omeka. Your configuration
; may not require all of the options listed.

mail.transport.type = “Smtp”
mail.transport.host = “fadel.uncoma.edu.ar”
mail.transport.port = 25 ; Port number, if applicable.
; mail.transport.name = “” ; Local client hostname, e.g. “localhost”
mail.transport.auth = “login” ; For authentication, if required.
mail.transport.username = “micuenta@fadel.uncoma.edu.ar”
mail.transport.password = “****”
mail.transport.ssl = “tls” ; For SSL support, set to “ssl” or “tls” (I tryed both)

The error message is the following:
# Omeka ha encontrado un error

5.5.1 Error: command not implemented

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: 5.5.1 Error: command not implemented in /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:431 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(205): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_expect(Array, 180) #1 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(200): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->helo(‘localhost’) #2 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail() #3 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Mail.php(1201): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail)) #4 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/plugins/SimpleContactForm/controllers/IndexController.php(83): Zend_Mail->send() #5 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/plugins/SimpleContactForm/controllers/IndexController.php(26): SimpleContactForm_IndexController->sendEmailNotification(‘silverio4004@gm…’, ‘yop’, ‘hhh’) #6 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): SimpleContactForm_IndexController->indexAction() #7 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch(‘indexAction’) #8 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http)) #9 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch() #10 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run() #11 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(77): Zend_Application->run() #12 /var/www/tresw/bibliotecalengua/htdocs/index.php(23): Omeka_Application->run() #13 {main}

Are you sure you’ve got all the details right there? Many or most servers if they’re using STARTTLS or SSL won’t be using port 25.

I tryed with ports: 25, 465, 587, 2525, 2526, but it doesn`t work. The error message is: “Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception. Could not open socket”

Does it work with the port set to 25 and the ssl line just commented out?

No, this is the config.ini:

mail.transport.port = 25 ; Port number, if applicable.
; mail.transport.name = “” ; Local client hostname, e.g. “localhost”
mail.transport.username = “micuenta@fadel.uncoma.edu.ar”
mail.transport.ssl = “ssl”

No, I mean, if you do comment out that ssl line (put a semicolon in front), does it help?

In that case, the error message changed. Now it says:
“Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception
5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: Invalid authentication mechanism”

I think you ultimately just have to double-check with your university what the proper settings for SMTP access are. That last message is saying Omeka is connecting fine but the mail server is just not allowing you to log in. It’s possible you need auth to be crammd5 or plain instead of login but the proper settings for all of this really depend on the mail server.

Hi John, server admin sent me this data:

Correo Entrante:
Dirección de Correo Entrante: Mismo nombre del servidor.
Puerto: 143
Server IMAP
Seguridad: Ninguna
Usuario: Dirección de la cuenta completa, inclusive el dominio.

Correo Saliente:
Dirección de Correo Entrante: Mismo nombre del servidor.
Puerto: 25

I’m using these settings:
mail.transport.port = 143 ; Port number, if applicable.
;mail.transport.name = “localhost” ; Local client hostname, e.g. “localhost”
mail.transport.username = “biblioteca@fadel.uncoma.edu.ar”
;mail.transport.ssl = “ssl”

The error message is this:

Omeka ha encontrado un error

OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Servidor Uncoma

You used the wrong “direction” from that information. The IMAP, port 143 stuff is for receiving mail, not sending it.

Now it works. Also, the mail.transport.auth was “plain”
Thank you very much John!