Changing the columns on the layout of the Item page

Hi,

I’m interested in changing the layout on the Item page. Currently there are two columns, one with dublin core metadata and one with things like citation info. The first column is much wider than the second, and the text in the second column keeps getting smushed. Is there a way to move the columns, make them more equal? I’m looking in the css but not sure what I should change, and everything I try doesn’t seem to make a difference, e.g. changing the aspects of ‘table’ doesn’t so anything.

Thanks.

This is a theme related question, so you have to edit the file you need in your theme and to modify your css. On this point, Omeka is like any other cms or website, because it uses html 5 and css 3.

Okay, so I’m in the CSS, and the thing that looks like it controls the relative size of the columns looks like this:

/* #Base 960 Grid
================================================== */

.container { position: relative; width: 960px; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; }
.column, .columns { float: left; display: inline; margin-left: 10px; margin-right: 10px; }
.row { margin-bottom: 20px; }

/* Nested Column Classes */
.column.alpha, .columns.alpha                         { margin-left: 0; }
.column.omega, .columns.omega                         { margin-right: 0; }

.container .one-third.column                        { width: 300px; }
.container .two-thirds.column                        { width: 620px; }

And I’ve been changing a few things in here, but to no effect. Is this not the right place to change things in?

I would also like to modify the display/layout on the items page, and tried editing the CSS without success. Are you editing the main style.css file in the theme directory? I don’t see the classes that you have copied above in the CSS file for the theme I’m using, but I see them in the source code for the item page and was looking to edit those. My aim is to line up the headings and the elements, lessen the white space, and left justify the headings.

Sorry this is so late. I actually gave up on this because I couldn’t work out how to do it, and I’ve just returned to the project after months of inactivity. If you’ve found any solutions in the meantime, I would love to hear about it.