Book images at high quality

What is the best method for viewing a large number of book page images?
Is there a module that I should be using for books that have chapters so they can be easier to find the area you want?

These are books from the 1500’s and we are trying to make them available for researchers to access.

For online view/reading of abook, in our site, we are using cantaloupe image server with Archive.org book reader which is IIIF compliant.

Please see a sample here, 1956-1958 - The Magazine - The Christ College, Irinjalakuda – ഗ്രന്ഥപ്പുര (Granthappura)

Hi @ shijualex,

Many thanks for sharing your method for displaying books, along with a link to your site.

I don’t want to derail this thread for my own purposes, but I’d be very interested in knowing exactly how you integrated the Archive.org book reader into Omeka S? While we’ve used both the Universal Viewer and Mirador viewers to display digitised books (from IIIF manifests), we’ve had a specific request for the ‘page turning’ animation, and the Archive.org BookReader looks the most obvious choice.

Unfortunately, it appears the Bookreader module for Omeka Classic is not available for Omeka S.

All the best,
John

That solution was found and integrated by my friend Jisso Jose. He will post the details here.

1 Like

Including an Internet Archive book embed on your Omeka S site is already possible. Go to the item on Archive.org and select the Embed code, in HTML, and copy it to your clipboard.

(For example, The journal of George Fox : Fox, George, 1624-1691 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive has the embed code <iframe src="https://archive.org/embed/journalofgeorgef00foxg" width="560" height="384" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" allowfullscreen></iframe>.)

When you add media to an item, select “HTML” as your media source. Then paste that embed code into the HTML field - click “Source” at the top left of the HTML frame first.

On the public side, as long as “Media render” is displaying on your item pages (in resource page configuration) you should see the bookreader embedded in the page.

1 Like

Thanks both for your very helpful replies.

@AllanaMayer Many thanks for the detailed instructions. I’d not considered hosting material directly on Archive.org and then embedding it into Omeka S. Depending on our researchers’ willingness to host content externally, this may be an option we offer them.

@shijualex If you’re using a different approach, hosting material on a separate (IIIF) server or on Omeka S itself, it would be really good to hear your colleague’s method.

All the best,
John

@johndmc What we do with www.gpura.org is as follows. We didn’t created it as a module yet.

1. We have deployed a IIIF compliant Cantaloupe Image server on a separate sever. This can be hosted in same server as of Omeka as well

2. We deploy our image set of each book in this cantaloupe server in separate directories.

3. download and deploy Archive book reader from here GitHub - internetarchive/bookreader: The Internet Archive BookReader to the image server

4. As per the bookreader spec, create a html file for your book using cantaloupe image server urls so that images are streamed directly from image server. Host this html in image server itself. since you may need both image server and normal http server ( apache / ngnix ) running on same box, you may need to setup reverse proxy.

5. take the html file url, and create an embedded code as below

<iframe allowfullscreen="true" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" src="YOUR_HTML_URL_HERE" style="width:750px;height:700px"></iframe>

1. Now paste this embed code in to Omeka - Item >> Media >> Add Media >> HTML >> Source and click on Add.

Now you will be able to see the embedded book reader on your omeka item page

2 Likes

Hi @jisso,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your method, and for describing the whole process in great detail- it’s really appreciated.

I will share this with my technical support team, and we can see whether it can be replicated using our backend systems.

Thanks again,
John

1 Like