Book and book viewer

Hello everybody. I’m building a digital collection of books, composed by many png files (one for each page).
This books should be visualized in the virtual exhibition, but for now It could be enough to put them in the digital library (as you can imagine I’m a beginner).
I’m trying to create this workflow: first, use the Dropbox plugin to upload the files, second: create an item for each book - where I can upload all the page’s file. I can’t add the Universal Viewer plugin in Omeka Classic 2.6.1 and I’m trying without success other plugins (docsviewer, connected carousel and others).
Do you think that the workflow is correct? Have you got any suggestions for the viewer plugin? thank you very much!

I’m a little behind in replying but I just saw this post. The way I have worked with paged material is to put all the images for a book in a single item and then you can use the universal viewer for that item and all the images will appear in the viewer. I have not tested the limits of this but I have loaded up to a couple hundred images to an item so you may need to divide longer books into multiple items. You can use the Dropbox plugin to load all the images on a single item as well. If Universal Viewer is not possible to use, you could use the image carousel plugin or the Connected Carousel plugin that will show all the images associated with an item as a carousel. Look at https://orsonwelles.indiana.edu/items/show/1963#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&xywh=-1062%2C-1%2C4605%2C3185 for an example using the Universal Viewer.

That looks great, wmcowan!

But I have another question… how does that work with OCRed materials? ABBYY FineReader doesn’t have an option to output as images. Is there a way to make files keyword searchable AND display in page-turning format in Omeka? I know that’s possible on other platforms.

We had a similar problem on another project which we never implemented so I don’t have a straightforward solution. But we thought that if you could get that ocr’d text into a metadata field in either the same item or another item you could relate to the item with images that it would be searchable then. Some metadata fields are quite large, like the Transcription field for instance. You could have multiple Transcription fields if needed. The best solution would be to have a way to load each page image with its ocr’d text so that you could link to the page location in the larger multiple image file. We did not figure out how to do that. And I have had truncation problems with large text files. As I said we never did an implementation of this, just thought about it.

My guess would be that any solution will require some custom coding.

This topic was automatically closed after 250 days. New replies are no longer allowed.