Batch import with a field in "Omeka Resource"

I have a table of items that I want to batch import. It has a “Relations” field that contains unique id for items that’s already in the database. The resource template is set to “omeka items” as data type in that field. The main goal is to have the relations between the items to also batch upload, but I’m not having success. Do I need to manually establish all the item relations? Can this automated in batch upload? Thank you.

What are you importing with? The CSV Importer?

Yes, using CSV importer for now, during the development stage. We are testing all of Omeka S features backend and designing custom front end. We are hoping to export all data from the beta site when we migrate to the stable version later this month.

Hi! Have you figured out a solution for this yet? I would also really like to use this function.

I had the same problem recently.

Here is what I did:

1. Retrieved the Omeka S internal ID of items already in the installation. In my case, it was pretty simple because It was a database of names which were imported in one step (with csv import). Let’s say the first imported item was ID 324, the second will be ID 323, etc. I took the ID from the url in omeka.

2. I pasted the ID of items already in Omeka S to a csv table describing the new items to import. I use functions in libreoffice-calc to establish correspondence between the ID and the relation field. In my case, the new items to import was a list of articles published by the authors already in the database of omeka S. So I used the function VLOOKUP (I think it is this one in english, in French, it was RECHERCHEV) to look for the name of author in the line of articles and, if founded, to print the ID corresponding to the author in a new column.

3. I imported my csv file. For the column with the ID, you have to select “Import as Omeka S resource ID” and an property (which will be displayed; in my case dcterms:creator).

You could have an issue at step 1. if you modified the database in Omeka S and/or if you didn’t import at once the previous items. If it is the case, you will not a consecutive sequel of internal ID. You should find a way to export the database in csv. It is theoretically possible with the api (but the api produces JSON that you will have to convert to csv).