After Updating Version- But how to update modules and themes

We’ve upgraded to Omeka S 4.0.1 and php 8.1

All is working well, but some modules and themes are not telling me there is a new version. As an example,

• Bulk Edit Module installed currently: 3.3.12.4

• Module line says “Error: Bulk Edit requires Omeka S ^3.0.0”

However, there is a version 3.4.18, which supports Version 4.0.1
But how to install the new version? I do have the setting checked to notify of updates.

I’ve tried going to easy admin, but the module is listed as already there, so I cant download the update.

The only thing that works is deleting or renaming the old folder, downloading and uploading new.

However, I have questions:

• Will this method of deleting or backing up - for both modules and themes- the old folder lose any settings- or are all settings preserved in the database?
  • What about doing this with the CSS editor module?
  • Would we have to check manually for each site that uses a particular module or theme to see if the settings “held”? the manual says
    “Check to be sure your settings have been preserved and there are no errors. After this, you can safely delete the old module folder that you saved to your computer.”

In general, settings for modules and themes are all in the database. The “normal” method of updating a module or theme is to delete its folder and replace it with the new one. CSS Editor works the same way: the CSS you set there is stored in the database.

The indication about checking is more about catching if, for example, you might have manually edited the files of a module or theme and forgot about the modification.

thanks for your reply. Can you explain a little about this:"
“The indication about checking is more about catching if, for example, you might have manually edited the files of a module or theme and forgot about the modification.”
I haven’t updated any modules or theme files, if that is what you are referring to. I’ve been sftp’ing the new module/theme to it’s directory in the files.
We’re using git for version control- and we use gitignore on the /files directory. Could that cause the issue?

By “the issue,” what do you mean?

With my last message I was just saying that the note there in the documentation is for people who’ve made such manual edits to the files, to remind them that if they’ve made edits like that, they wouldn’t carry over when following the normal process of deleting the old addon and uploading the new version.

This topic was automatically closed 360 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.