Advanced search option disappeared in Seasons theme

Hello,
We recently upgraded to Omeka 3.1.2 and the advanced search option has disappeared when using the Seasons theme. I was able to get it to work in the Thanks, Roy theme. Is this a bug or am I missing some new setting?

Thank you!

Seasons has a theme setting (configured under Appearance → Configure Theme) for enabling the advanced search. Do you have that setting turned on?

Thank you for your reply!

We do have the advanced search box checked in the theme settings.

Is your site available somewhere so you can share a link to it? I’d like to see what it looks like to see what’s going on.

Here’s a link to the public site: https://digitalarchives.sjc.edu/.

Have you modified the theme? The advanced search area looks OK but the button that should show the advanced options is just missing. A customized Seasons theme could do that by changing the search/search-form.php file (or the common/header.php file).

We’ve made some minor changes, but not to the search-form.php file. The only change I made to the header.php file is to add the Google Analytics tag. We modified the Seasons stylesheet 5ish years ago and I’ve just been copying that over with each upgrade. Otherwise, I leave all the theme files alone.

I tried reverting the stylesheet to the one packaged with Seasons 2.7 in case that was causing problems and still didn’t see the advanced search button.

This isn’t a stylesheet issue: the button isn’t in the markup at all.

Can you share the contents of your search/search-form.php file? Both from within the theme (if you have that file in your theme) and the core (at application/views/scripts/search/search-form.php).

Ok, thanks!

Here’s the search/search-form.php content from within the theme:

<?php echo $this->form('search-form', $options['form_attributes']); ?>
<?php echo $this->formText('query', $filters['query'], array('title' => __('Search'))); ?>
<?php if ($options['show_advanced']): ?>
<div id="advanced-form">
    <fieldset id="query-types">
        <legend><?php echo __('Search using this query type:'); ?></legend>
        <?php echo $this->formRadio('query_type', $filters['query_type'], null, $query_types); ?>
    </fieldset>
    <?php if ($record_types): ?>
    <fieldset id="record-types">
        <legend><?php echo __('Search only these record types:'); ?></legend>
        <?php foreach ($record_types as $key => $value): ?>
        <?php echo $this->formCheckbox('record_types[]', $key, in_array($key, $filters['record_types']) ? array('checked' => true, 'id' => 'record_types-' . $key) : null); ?> <?php echo $this->formLabel('record_types-' . $key, $value);?><br>
        <?php endforeach; ?>
    </fieldset>
    <?php elseif (is_admin_theme()): ?>
        <p><a href="<?php echo url('settings/edit-search'); ?>"><?php echo __('Go to search settings to select record types to use.'); ?></a></p>
    <?php endif; ?>
    <p><?php echo link_to_item_search(__('Advanced Search (Items only)')); ?></p>
</div>
<?php else: ?>
    <?php echo $this->formHidden('query_type', $filters['query_type']); ?>
    <?php foreach ($filters['record_types'] as $type): ?>
    <?php echo $this->formHidden('record_types[]', $type); ?>
    <?php endforeach; ?>
<?php endif; ?>
<?php echo $this->formButton('submit_search', $options['submit_value'], array('type' => 'submit')); ?>

And this is from within the core:

<?php echo $this->form('search-form', $options['form_attributes']); ?>
<?php 
    echo $this->formText('query', $filters['query'], array(
        'title' => __('Query'), 
        'aria-label' => __('Query'), 
        'aria-labelledby' => 'search-form query'
    )); 
?>
<?php if ($options['show_advanced']): ?>
<button id="advanced-search" type="button" class="show-advanced button" aria-label="<?php echo __('Options'); ?>" title="<?php echo __('Options'); ?>" aria-labelledby="search-form advanced-search">
    <span class="icon" aria-hidden="true"></span>
</button>
<div id="advanced-form">
    <fieldset id="query-types">
        <legend><?php echo __('Search using this query type:'); ?></legend>
        <?php echo $this->formRadio('query_type', $filters['query_type'], null, $query_types); ?>
    </fieldset>
    <?php if ($record_types): ?>
    <fieldset id="record-types">
        <legend><?php echo __('Search only these record types:'); ?></legend>
        <?php foreach ($record_types as $key => $value): ?>
        <?php echo $this->formCheckbox('record_types[]', $key, array('checked' => in_array($key, $filters['record_types']), 'id' => 'record_types-' . $key)); ?> <?php echo $this->formLabel('record_types-' . $key, $value);?><br>
        <?php endforeach; ?>
    </fieldset>
    <?php elseif (is_admin_theme()): ?>
        <p><a href="<?php echo url('settings/edit-search'); ?>"><?php echo __('Go to search settings to select record types to use.'); ?></a></p>
    <?php endif; ?>
    <p><?php echo link_to_item_search(__('Advanced Search (Items only)')); ?></p>
</div>
<?php else: ?>
    <?php echo $this->formHidden('query_type', $filters['query_type']); ?>
    <?php foreach ($filters['record_types'] as $type): ?>
    <?php echo $this->formHidden('record_types[]', $type, array('id' => '')); ?>
    <?php endforeach; ?>
<?php endif; ?>
<?php 
    echo $this->formButton('submit_search', $options['submit_value'], array(
        'type' => 'submit', 
        'title' => __('Submit'), 
        'class' => 'button', 
        'content' => '<span class="icon" aria-hidden="true"></span>', 
        'escape' => false,
        'aria-label' => __('Submit'),
        'aria-labelledby' => 'search-form submit_search'
        )
    ); 
?>

Seasons doesn’t normally have a search/search-form.php file in it (at least in current versions). The fact that you have one means that your Seasons is “customized” to a certain extent for the search form.

The simplest thing to do is just delete the search/search-form.php from your Seasons theme. (You could also just move it out of the way if you wanted to test temporarily).

I tried removing both the search/search-form.php file and the entire folder from the theme, but I am still not seeing the button.

OK, so now it’s a stylesheet issue. Your change to the theme has restored the markup for the advanced search button, but the stylesheet you have only accounts for a single button, so it’s putting the two buttons on top of each other.

At this point, reverting to the “stock” Seasons stylesheet as you’d tried before should actually work.

That did work! Thank you very much for tracking down the problem.

It’s strange (to me anyway) that nothing like this happened with any other upgrades in the past 4+ years.