Adding ingesters and renderers through a Module

We’ve recently changed to Kaltura Mediaspace for faculty, staff and students to use for storing video and I played around with modifying Omeka-S to using the Kaltura Javascript API to create the needed ingesters and renderers for this. This involved directly changing or adding about a half dozen files in Omeka-S, mostly in the applications directory. Is there a way in a module to add these changes into Omeka-S?

I know there is an OEmbed ingester/renderer that in theory could be used with Kaltura but the URI that Kaltura suggests using doesn’t work with OEmbed in Omeka-S for our installation of Mediaspace. In addition you can just use the HTML ingester/renderer to embed the iFrame that Mediaspace suggests. But neither of these have the same flexibility that I want to build, especially in terms of start and stop points in the video and the size of the video player.

Thanks for any help,

Will

I see no responses on this yet so I am assuming that to create ingesters and renderers, one needs to directly add new files for the ingester and renderer and needs to directly change existing files in the applications directory to recognize these new ingesters and renderers.

Thanks,

Will

Whoops, this fell through the cracks.

Modules can definitely add ingesters and renderers. The list of available ingesters and renderers is in the file application/config/module.config.php, starting here.

The basic situation with anything in the module.config.php file is that it can be overridden or added to by a module, by providing matching keys in the module’s own module.config.php. This is a Zend Framework system: the framework merges all the module config files together as one of the first steps in running the application.

Also, on the topic of the OEmbed renderer, the rules for that are also in module config. There’s a whitelist of OEmbed URL patterns Omeka S will accept, and a module could add to that list (or an addition could be proposed as a pull request).

For a single installation, a change to configuration like that could be made in the config/local.config.php file as well (it’s also merged with the other configs, so changes there override/supplement both Omeka S default settings as well as module settings).

I thought this was probably the case but I didn’t know where to look to override these configs.

I knew the whitelist was there but I didn’t know about the overrides in local.config.php. However, even after making the changes to the whitelist, the OEmbed code returned by our installation of Kaltura was bad. I have the maintainers of our Kaltura looking into it.

Thanks,

Will