Adding a legend to a Neatline/Omeka Map

Morning all, greetings from Cork, Ireland. I have an omeka classic install with neatline and neatline waypoints using the seasons theme.

I will be adding somewhere between 200-600 records to a map of Ireland. The records will be points, colour coded according to the artform they represent and I wondered if anyone has found an easy way to add a legend to a neatline map. Perhaps as an overlay image or as a ‘sticky’ item in the list of neatline waypoints.

I’m guessing there may be a simple solution. So I’d be very grateful for any help

many thanks

D

Hi ddimento,

To find a simple solution, that doesn’t involve making custom changes to the plugin, you may need to get creative. Here is an exhibit that may be helpful - http://intemperance.org/neatline/show/raids - they’ve used the NeatlineText plugin, and inserted an html table to make a legend for their map. There may be a similar approach using the Waypoints plugin - I will test it out and get back to you within the next day or so.

Beth

Thanks Beth, that’s much appreciated. I had a look at the exhibition and it could be a way to go, thanks.

Damian

Hi Damian,

To follow up, if you prefer to use Waypoints in your exhibit, you can do something similar to the example provided. Make a new record for your legend, and in the ‘Title’ section, click on the ‘Edit HTML’ link. From the editing panel, click the button for ‘Source’, and insert an html element for your legend. If you want to use a table structure, it would look something like this, adjusted to the number of rows/columns you need:

<table align="center">
	<caption>Map Key</caption>
	<tbody>
		<tr>
			<td align="center" style="background-color: #FFF2D5">
			<p>key</p>
			</td>
			<td align="center" style="background-color: #69D2E7">
			<p>key</p>
			</td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td align="center" style="background-color: #FA9A84">
			<p>key</p>
			</td>
			<td align="center" style="background-color: #ECD078">
			<p>key</p>
			</td>
		</tr>
	</tbody>
</table>

You can use any kind of html element, the table is just one example. Then, from the record’s style tab, just include the waypoints widget, and set it to the top of your waypoints list. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions

Beth

Thanks Beth, that’s very helpful, I had looked at adding an image as the legend in a neatline record but I think the table will be better and more elegant.

really appreciate it
best

Damian

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.