Universal Viewer borked!

Hi all,
Having frustrating experience with Universal Viewer, similar to this one: Universal Viewer not displaying images

It’s just black, with a small gray square spinning in the middle. You can see it here:

When I check the console in Chrome Dev Tools, I have two error messages:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) /iiif/1/manifest:1

bundle.min.js:4 Uncaught (in promise) SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 0
at JSON.parse ()
at Function.Deserialiser.parse (bundle.min.js:4)
at Object.create (bundle.min.js:5)
at Bootstrapper._loaded (bundle.min.js:9)
at bundle.min.js:9

The previous post I linked to mentioned the problem being an extra space at the beginning of the manifest, or a blank line at the top of globals.php, but I don’t see any extra spaces at the beginning or top when editing the manifest/global file. Another possible solution was an incorrect Imagemagik path, but in Omeka config preferences, the path tests fine.

I’ve tried turning off all installed plugins, with no results.

I am admittedly pretty much a novice when it comes to editing code, so I appreciate your patience if I’ve misunderstood something.

One final note: it seems to work fine for images that are items, but not multiple images that are files within a single item. See this example: (http://www.countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/items/show/19#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&xywh=48%2C545%2C2747%2C1483).
I don’t know if that helps at all…

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Can you activate logging ? See https://omeka.org/classic/docs/Troubleshooting/Retrieving_Error_Messages/#activate-error-logging

Thanks - I turned logging on and tried to use UV on the item. Here’s the contents of the error log:

2019-10-23T18:59:49+00:00 ERR (3): Exception: Failed to get resolution of image #37 ("/home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/files/thumbnails/d48c624a9ef6b9fec6845a148cce340c.jpg"). in /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/plugins/UniversalViewer/libraries/UniversalViewer/Controller/Action/Helper/ImageSize.php:71
Stack trace:
#0 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/plugins/UniversalViewer/views/helpers/ImageSize.php(44): UniversalViewer_Controller_Action_Helper_ImageSize->imageSize(Object(File), ‘thumbnail’)
#1 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/application/libraries/Zend/View/Abstract.php(349): UniversalViewer_View_Helper_ImageSize->imageSize(Object(File), ‘thumbnail’)
#2 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/plugins/UniversalViewer/views/helpers/IiifManifest.php(452): Zend_View_Abstract->__call(‘imageSize’, Array)
#3 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/plugins/UniversalViewer/views/helpers/IiifManifest.php(591): UniversalViewer_View_Helper_IiifManifest->_iiifThumbnail(Object(File))
#4 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/plugins/UniversalViewer/views/helpers/IiifManifest.php(188): UniversalViewer_View_Helper_IiifManifest->_iiifCanvasImage(Object(File), 15)
#5 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/plugins/UniversalViewer/views/helpers/IiifManifest.php(20): UniversalViewer_View_Helper_IiifManifest->_buildManifestItem(Object(Item))
#6 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/application/libraries/Zend/View/Abstract.php(349): UniversalViewer_View_Helper_IiifManifest->iiifManifest(Object(Item))
#7 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/plugins/UniversalViewer/controllers/PresentationController.php(120): Zend_View_Abstract->__call(‘iiifManifest’, Array)
#8 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(516): UniversalViewer_PresentationController->itemAction()
#9 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch(‘itemAction’)
#10 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#11 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#12 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#13 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(73): Zend_Application->run()
#14 /home/aaronbco/countypoorfarm.butlerhistorical.org/index.php(23): Omeka_Application->run()
#15 {main}

So you can see that the viewer needs the resolution of the image, but it’s not available. It’s not related to the number of images. Check the technical metadata of the image. And normally, this size is set during the upload of the image.

1 Like

Okay, it looks like a few of the images I uploaded (with the Dropbox plugin) didn’t come through correctly - when I deleted those, we were good to go. Thanks for the help!