Support for linking Media to multiple Items and Media Sets?

After some 2 years working with Omeka-S installations I would like to share my experience with the lack of linking support for Media entities. And wonder what solutions others have found for this.

I have the impression that Media are, as for linking, not treated as generously as Items and Item Sets.
A situation that now and then causes some modeling problems.

Specifically:

1. afaik a Media entity can not be linked to multiple Items, and
  2. afaik there are no “Media Set” entities to define a collection of Media

For 1. a use case occurs when you have an image, “born digital” so defintely a Media entity I would say, that is a “representation” of e.g. 2 persons. For both persons I have a Item entity in Omeka-S and I would like to link the Media entity to both Items.
Afaik I cannot do this via the standard tools in Omeka-S (and in that way get the o:media property set in the Items).

Case 2 occurred e.g. when I had a document (with a Document Item modeling it) and a pdf (a single Media entity) with some pages ocr-ed on the one hand and a set of hires scans of each page (a set of Media entities).
Of course I want both to be linked to the (document) Item, but there is no (Omeka-S) "builting way to treat the set of scans as a single “Media Set”.

In both cases my solution was to resort to creating an extra, intermediate, Item entity.

In case 1 I made a Picture class Item and “standardly” linked(o:media) the image Media to this Picture Item.
Next the Picture Item is then manually linked (dc:hasFormat) to each of the Person Item s, functioning as an “intermediate” to the image Media.

In case 2 I made a Scanset Item and “standardly” linked(o:media) all scan image Media to that. The Document Item then gets the pdf Media "standardly "linked (o:media) and the ScanSet Item “manually” linked (dc:hasformat) as intermediate Entity to the scan image Media.

Clearly these solutions are suboptimal, because, given an Item you cannot get to the “reperesentations” anymore by simple following the o:media property. And thus the default rendering methods is site pages, the IIIF module etc. dont work automatically anymore. I did not try to manually set the o:media property in the metadata because I guess that would confuse Omeka-S, though it would solve at least use case 1 :slight_smile:

My two questions:

• Would it be benificially/doable to provide support for the some extra linking facilities for Media in a next release of Omeka_S?
  • has anyone come up with better solutions for my problematic use cases?

Wish to hear from you,
John

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.