Social Bookmarking Bug

Hi there,
I got an ‘Omeka has encountered an Error’ message and after checking the .htaccess file it said there was a problem with the social bookmarking plugin. This is the first time this has happened. I’m wondering if i just reinstall the plugin or will it stop the site from working again? I’ve pasted the error message below.
thanks,
Greg

Exception: String could not be parsed as XML in /home/huarchiv/public_html/plugins/SocialBookmarking/helpers/SocialBookmarkingFunctions.php:45
Stack trace:
#0 /home/huarchiv/public_html/plugins/SocialBookmarking/helpers/SocialBookmarkingFunctions.php(45): SimpleXMLElement->__construct(’’)
#1 /home/huarchiv/public_html/plugins/SocialBookmarking/helpers/SocialBookmarkingFunctions.php(55): social_bookmarking_get_services_xml()
#2 /home/huarchiv/public_html/plugins/SocialBookmarking/helpers/SocialBookmarkingFunctions.php(85): social_bookmarking_get_services()
#3 /home/huarchiv/public_html/plugins/SocialBookmarking/SocialBookmarkingPlugin.php(136): social_bookmarking_toolbar(‘http://www.huar…’, ‘HU April 69’, ‘Editor: Michael…’)
#4 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Plugin/Broker.php(154): SocialBookmarkingPlugin->hookPublicItemsShow(Array)
#5 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/globals.php(188): Omeka_Plugin_Broker->callHook(‘public_items_sh…’, Array)
#6 /home/huarchiv/public_html/themes/seasons/items/show.php(13): fire_plugin_hook(‘public_items_sh…’, Array)
#7 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/View.php(114): include(’/home/huarchiv/…’)
#8 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/View/Abstract.php(888): Omeka_View->_run(’/home/huarchiv/…’)
#9 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action/Helper/ViewRenderer.php(912): Zend_View_Abstract->render(NULL)
#10 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action/Helper/ViewRenderer.php(933): Zend_Controller_Action_Helper_ViewRenderer->renderScript(‘items/show.php’, NULL)
#11 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action/Helper/ViewRenderer.php(972): Zend_Controller_Action_Helper_ViewRenderer->render()
#12 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action/HelperBroker.php(277): Zend_Controller_Action_Helper_ViewRenderer->postDispatch()
#13 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Action.php(527): Zend_Controller_Action_HelperBroker->notifyPostDispatch()
#14 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch(‘showAction’)
#15 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Object(Zend_Controller_Request_Http), Object(Zend_Controller_Response_Http))
#16 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application/Bootstrap/Bootstrap.php(105): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch()
#17 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Application.php(384): Zend_Application_Bootstrap_Bootstrap->run()
#18 /home/huarchiv/public_html/application/libraries/Omeka/Application.php(73): Zend_Application->run()
#19 /home/huarchiv/public_html/index.php(23): Omeka_Application->run()
#20 {main}

Just chiming in to say I’ve had this same bug. Version 2.0.1 in Omeka 2.6.1, deactivated it so the site will work properly

1 Like

Good day All,

I got the same error message and thanks to ‘bboyer-library’ , I deactivated the plugin for the site to work again.

I asking If I install the latest Social Bookmarking Plugin version 2.0.2 on Omeka version 2.6.1 will it work properly.

Regards,
O-bry

Social Bookmarking 2.0.3 (just released) contains fixes for this problem.

The issue here is that AddThis, the third-party service that Social Bookmarking relies on, is being a little unreliable in serving a file that the plugin uses. @julian.maurice contributed a fix to make the plugin behave better when AddThis isn’t working, and we also switched over to a different URL from AddThis which seems to be working more reliably (at the moment).

In the long run it probably makes sense to just move away from AddThis entirely, as Social Bookmarking doesn’t really use many of its features.

This topic was automatically closed after 250 days. New replies are no longer allowed.