PDF plugin question

I have very large PDF documents (yearbooks) that I would like to incorporate into our Omeka digital collections. What is the best plugin to use? I find that I am struggling to keep under the 2 mb limit. I also find that most of the PDF’s are blurry. Is it better to utilize PDF Text or the Universal Viewer plugin? When a user selects a thumbnail, I want the PDF to open up on a large screen, as it would if I were opening a PDF in any other capacity. I also want to allow our users to search through the PDF. I look forward to your thoughts.

I have a similar question to yours in the functionality of the PDF plugins. Has anyone discovered a better PDF plugin than PDF Text? Or is that the only one that works for searching text-searchable PDFs?

I find that the searching capabilities with PDF Text to look kind of clunky and unprofessional —essentially it will list the entire OCR’d text in the webpage and I’d rather have researchers search within the PDF document for the terms they searched for (or if they can be highlighted at all?) What’s strange is that from the admin side an eyeglass will show up within the document to search within but from the user side the eyeglass disappears.

In any event, I have the same issue as you do.

Suzanne.calev, did you ever get a response?
Thanks!

I would also like to know if anyone has figured this out. At the moment, I just want to add occasional items but I want to know if there is a way to make this work with Omeka or if I should go in another direction.

This topic was automatically closed after 250 days. New replies are no longer allowed.