Omeka S: Sorting results and no DC fields

Dear colleagues,

We’re digging into Omeka S and we have some questions that we really appreciate if you can answer us.

1. We have not seen any sort results, we have seen in omeka classic, but I think limited to those who use solr (I am not sure about that), we are interested in sorting results by title, by date…etc (specially by date)

2. If we wish to add some new fields, we need to add a new vocabulary right? is there a way to just a couple of fields to the already created vocabulary?

thanks in advance

1. There is a sorting control at the top-right of the item (and item set, etc.) results page.

2. You can create your own vocabulary if you want and import that. Omeka S is designed to work with existing RDF/Linked Data vocabularies, so you might also want to see if there’s some existing vocabulary that meets your needs.

The other option Omeka S provides is for you to use a Resource Template instead. Templates don’t give you extra properties, but they do allow you to provide your own labels and comments for the existing ones. So, if your custom field is really a more narrow version of a property already provided by S, you could just provide your more specific label for it in a template.

Thank you for this interesting reply!

I actually would also have a question about this topic. I apologise in advance for my english!

I’m trying to import a CSV file through the CSVImport Module, and using a Resource template. I’m working for the National Institute of Art in Paris, and our csv files are very complex. For example, we use many dc:description fields with alternative labels to personalize our bibliographic labels. Thus, I was thinking to do the same thing in Omeka S: multiplying Description properties and use alternative labels and comments. But when I try to add an second or third Description property, it refuses to appear.

Is it because we are not supposed to do so? Or is there another reason and then a solution behind this problem? I tried an import with a resource template personalized (with other properties coming for other ontologies) and all my fields were empty then…

Btw, I’m working with the version 1.0.0-beta2. Could that be the reason why?

I’m sorry for the novel and I thank you in advance if you can help me!

Nola

The first thing to do is to try on the last beta release (beta 4), that may resolve your issue.

1 Like

Thanks for this reply! We’re going to try that first.

In the last version, is it possible to multiply the same property?

Thanks again and have a nice day!

Nola

No, in a resource template, you can’t set the same property twice.

Thank you, it’s good to know!

Have a nice day,

Nola

Hello,

I have a problem quite similar to NolaND’s. Is it still impossible to repeat particular resource template properties and give each of those properties a distinct label? For example, I need to employ multiple instances of “dcterms:isPartOf” and “dcterms:identifier”:

dcterms:isPartOf–labeled as: Analog Collection
dcterms:isPartOf–labeled as: Physical Collection
dcterms:isPartOf–labeled as: Series

dcterms:identifier–labeled as: Accession Number
dcterms:identifier–labeled as: Identifier
dcterms:identifer–labeled as: Filename

In order to achieve the above, should I use each DC property once and create a custom vocabulary for the additional fields?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

This is not possible without a specific module, or via a change in the core. It may be possible via the theme, but it won’t be clean.

That’s one option. If there’s a standard vocabulary that provides some or all of the properties you’re trying to use you could also import that.

You could also consider whether you really need to differentiate between, for example, types of collections on the property side. If it’s obvious from the data on the Analog or Physical collections that these items will be related to that they’re analog or physical, respectively, you could reasonably use the same property for both relations.

To the initial question, as Daniel says, it’s still the case that custom property labels in a template are 1-to-1: you can’t have multiple different labels for the same property in a single template.

Thank you both! I’ll give the custom vocabulary a shot.