Omeka Classic - blank pages fixed by refresh

Hi there,

I’m wondering if anyone else has run into an issue with Omeka sites serving up blank white response pages intermittently. What happens is we’ll load a page, the browser will finish loading, but the page is blank, view source has nothing, but there was no error code in the response. In fact, our headers are intact, but there’s no content. We haven’t found any errors in our logs, or even anything weird in the access logs. We have a lot of Omeka Classic sites hosted in our Nginx / AWS RDS MySQL environment, but have also been getting the issue intermittently in an older Apache / local MySQL environment.

It’s been a very strange, very intermittent issue, which has made it difficult to diagnose, but it’s been persistent nonetheless. If anyone has encountered anything similar, I’d love to hear about it, and I’ll update if we make headway on a fix.

Thanks!

I’m not familiar with this happening, or with seeing users report it either (and we run a lot of Omeka sites of various vintages and interact with a lot of user reports).

Maybe you’re hitting an exit() in your code somewhere, something simple like that?

We’ve bumped up the memory allocated to PHP in the php fpm configuration (memory_limit), and haven’t seen the issue since. If it comes back, I’ll post again here. Thanks!