Omeka classic and RHEL 7

I am in the process of having to move our servers from RHEL 6 to RHEL 7. I have 11 Omeka instances that will need to move to the new server.

I saw this " If you are running an earlier version of Omeka Classic, please first upgrade to 1.2.1. You can then upgrade directly to the latest version of Omeka Classic." so I know I can upgrade directly.

I would really like to keep them in their current version, however. Can I keep them on the current versions, due to trying to avoid possible customization / plugin issues?

Has anyone here installed Omeka Classic on RHEL 7 with the requirements below?

• Linux operating system
  • Apache HTTP server (with mod_rewrite enabled)
  • MySQL version 5.0 or greater
  • PHP scripting language version 5.4 or higher (with mysqli and exif extensions installed)
  • ImageMagick image manipulation software (for resizing images)

Thanks!

Rick Neal
University of Richmond

Your current Omeka sites are older than version 1.2.1? That’s really really old.

The main issue you’re going to run into is that versions of Omeka that are that old don’t support PHP beyond version 5.2. Your Red Hat 7 server almost certainly has a much newer version of PHP.

Operator error… : )

I originally listed the versions and for some reason removed it before I posted. I am not that bad off!!

I have versions 1.0.0, 2.2.2, 2.4.1, and 2.5.1.

Thanks for responding!

Rick

So, things really come down to the specific versions you have, and what PHP version your server runs.

Omeka 2.4 added support for PHP 7, Omeka 2.5.1 for PHP 7.1, Omeka 2.6 for PHP 7.2, and Omeka 2.7 for 7.3, and Omeka 2.7.1 for 7.4.

The PHP 5 series should be pretty well supported by all the versions you listed, except 1.0.0. Support for PHP 5.3 is only in Omeka 1.1 and above. Upgrades are pretty painless for the recent versions, as there’s been less change for themes and plugins. The upgrade from 1.0.0 to anything halfway current is much more significant, though.

This topic was automatically closed 250 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.