Not able to display images using latest versions of IIIF Server and Universal Viewer

Hi, I’m a bit stuck with these two modules, perhaps someone with more experience can guide me.

I have installed Omeka S on an Amazon EC2 Ubuntu instance. I have also installed the IIIF Server and Universal Viewer plugins. And finally, I have installed ImageMagick and confirmed it is working by running a few magick and convert commands at the command prompt.

I have uploaded a test PDF with searchable text, as well as a test PNG file. When I view each item on my public page I see my metadata and a thumbnail, but the viewer is just a black box with a spinning gray cube.

Here’s what I’ve investigated so far. I turned on logging as described in the manual:

https://omeka.org/s/docs/user-manual/errorLogging/

I then re-uploaded both files and visited their public pages. The log file here:

logs/application.log

Is still empty. Next I looked in the /files directory to see what was generated. It seems I have files in ‘large’, ‘medium’, ‘original’, and ‘square’ directories. My ‘tiles’ directory is empty, though I don’t know for sure if this is the issue, nor do I know where I can find the logs for the image conversion that I assume is managed by the IIIF Server plugin?

Finally, I tried one of the example IIIF urls on my site to ensure that the server was running.

[myurl]/omeka/iiif/6/manifest

Returns some meaningful looking JSON, so that’s nice.

Any ideas what I should look at next?

Many thanks in advance!

Can you tell me what you see in the console of your browser (ctrl + shift + i / tab console) ?

Thanks, @Daniel_KM, that’s a great idea. And it does seem to reveal … something:

/omeka/modules/UniversalViewer/asset/vendor/uv/Test%20PDF%202
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

That doesn’t seem like the correct path, does it?

How did you create your item? This url should not exist, it is an asset.
The pdf should be a url like https://www.example/omeka/files/original/aaaaaaaaaaaa.pdf.

It was created using the CSV Import module. Let me see if things improve when I create the item via the web client.

Correction, I had already tried both methods (csv import and directly creating item via the UI), and the results are the same. It still looks for the file at that wonky path. Perhaps I am creating my item incorrectly?

Items --> Add new item --> Media --> Upload --> Upload file

Ok for your import of a file, it’s really standard.

What is this pdf inside assets? I don’t understand where this url is created.
I think there is something specific in your config, but it’s hard to determine with so little messages.

I could share my config? What would be helpful?

By the way , thanks for sticking with this.

Next I looked in the /files directory to see what was generated. It seems I have files in ‘large’, ‘medium’, ‘original’, and ‘square’ directories. My ‘tiles’ directory is empty, though I don’t know for sure if this is the issue, nor do I know where I can find the logs for the image conversion that I assume is managed by the IIIF Server plugin?

To create tiles, the images should be imported as “tile” in the media tab, so it’s not for pdf or small images.

Normally, the viewer uses the pdf file inside files/original.

If you have a public page, it will be simpler, eventually by private message.

Yes, I set up a public page. Nothing there yet, as I am just trying to see if I can use Omeka for search/display of a digital book collection.

http://ec2-18-218-59-245.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/omeka/s/mhc-poc

Also, I’m happy to move this into a private chat and report back if/when we figure it out, but I don’t see a PM option here.

The universal viewer is a viewer that can display anything, but only if it has a iiif manifest (a json file with metadata, url and a lot of other things). The iiif is created by the iiif server.

The property you set in the main config of Universal Viewer is used only in some cases, when a site wants to use specific manifests. In most of the cases, it should be empty. So reset it, or don’t fill the property you set for it. When the property is filled, uv uses it, whatever it is, else it uses the manifests provided by the iiif server.

Which config, which value? I didn’t make any config changes after installing UV.

So it is another thing, but I don’t find.

Thank you for looking into it.

@Daniel_KM Just FYI, I tore down my server and started over again. I installed Omeka, then installed the IIIF module–confirmed that IIIF was working, then installed the Universal Viewer. Now, everything seems to be working appropriately. I am not sure I did much differently this time, but I took notes so I can write it up for posterity. I’ll post that here when its ready in case anyone else who is starting with AWS EC2 wants to get the Universal Viewer working.

1 Like